Since 2012 those working and volunteering to deliver public services have been coming together for an annual 24 hour tweetathon called #OurDay to showcase the important work that happens every day in our communities. It’s just one day in the year to tell the story of what really happens in public services. On Wednesday 18 November the fourth #OurDay was held, and it was combined with the annual #housingday celebration to share stories of why tenants are proud to live in their homes and communities.
#Ourday has grown stronger each year and this year saw a whopping 36,000 tweets made during the 24 hours. From street lighting, law enforcement and community care to council meetings, schools and libraries, more than 8,000 people contributed. 25 tweets were posted per minute to show a typical day in the life of public services with people sharing their stories and photos.
What a busy and exciting day it was to celebrate the unsung heroes of public service! Here are the highlights with some statistics and our most memorable stories.
Engagement – distribution of tweets
Happy hour! The most popular hour of the day for tweeters using #OurDay:
Top 25 #OurDay contributors:
- LGAcomms @lgacomms
- Cornwall Council @cornwallcouncil
- Oldham Council @oldhamcouncil
- Newham London @NewhamLondon
- Kulbinder Mann @KulbinderM
- North Yorkshire CC @northyorkscc
- Stratford DC @StratfordDC
- IOW Council Official @iwight
- Knowsley Council @KnowsleyCouncil
- Redcar & Cleveland @RedcarCleveland
- Alison MckenzieFolan @AlisonMc_F
- NorthumberlandCC @N_landCouncil
- South Cambridgeshire @SouthCambs
- WHITTAKER DESIGN @whittakerdesig1
- Chichester District @ChichesterDC
- Wigan Council @WiganCouncil
- Bournemouth Council @bournemouthbc
- Oldham Hour @Oldham_Hour
- Walsall Council @WalsallCouncil
- Ryedale DC @RyedaleDC
- Warrington Council @WarringtonBC
- Bucks County Council @buckscc
- Wiltshire C Careers @WiltsC_Careers
- Christopher Neil @chrisraneil
- Elmbridge BC @ElmbridgeBC
Top 3 hashtags used with #OurDay:
Buzzwords tag cloud
Thank you to everyone who took part in making #OurDay 2015 a huge success! You can see some our favourite tweets captured from the day in our storify, and below are some examples to show what goes on every day across our public service.
See you again next year for #ourDay 2016!