Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - April

Does an occupancy restriction create a fundamentally different development?

Former Member, modified 4 Years ago.

Does an occupancy restriction create a fundamentally different development?

Following Finney and Welsh Ministers v Energiekontor (UK) Limited and others [2019] EWCA Civ 1868 everyone has, I'm sure, thought more about the appropriateness of when to use a s73 application. It has recently been put to me by one of my local LPAs that removing an agricultural occupancy restriction from a dwelling, to create a dwelling with unrestricted occupancy, would result in a fundamentally different development to what was originally approved, as the description in the original application referred to "agricultural worker's dwelling" and that is fundamentally different from an open market dwelling. I have disagreed, as I feel that what was applied for was a dwelling and what the s73 if approved would allow is a dwelling. The "agricultural worker's" element of the description is purely illustrative of why the dwelling should be allowed, and that if no occupancy condition had been imposed then no occupancy restriction could be deduced or enforced from the term having been used in the description.

There is a policy in the Local Plan relating to AWDs, the final paragraph of which states "Applications for the removal of occupancy conditions or ties on dwellings for rural workers will only be permitted where there is compelling evidence to demonstrate that such a restriction is no longer justified". This to my mind suggests that s73 is appropriate, as it caters for exactly what the policy provides for, rather than any sort of change of use, which would presumably be what is required if the development is fundamentally different.

The LPA has agreed to seek independent legal advice, but it would be instructional to know if this issue has arisen in other areas, and if so, how it has been resolved.

A final thought is - would the same argument apply to removing a holiday occupancy condition - or is that fundamentally different again?