Back

CIL AND EXTENSION RELIEF

RS
REBECCA STADDON, modified 1 Year ago.

CIL AND EXTENSION RELIEF

Advocate Posts: 100 Join Date: 05/09/13 Recent Posts

Hi all,

I would be interested in your thoughts on extension relief.

If a person extends their residence by over 100sqm and is granted residential extension relief, what happens if they then 'convert' part of the extension that was granted relief into a holiday let?

I have read through the CIL Regulations 2010 (as amended) and can find no regulation that allows the residential relief to be withdrawn. Is this a loophole in the Regulations?

Many Thanks

Bex

DB
Dean Brunton, modified 1 Year ago.

RE: CIL AND EXTENSION RELIEF

Enthusiast Posts: 32 Join Date: 10/10/13 Recent Posts

Hi, I would be tempted to argue that if there were to happen it would no longer meet the definition of a residential extension and therefore no longer eligible for the relief and new liability / demand notices then issued due to the change of circumstances and collect CIL then.

Also, I'm guessing it is likely that the holiday let would require a permission in its own right so it depends how long after they build the extension before they convert (as it may not meet the vacancy test)?

An interesting one though..

SA
Simon Anstey, modified 1 Year ago.

RE: CIL AND EXTENSION RELIEF

Enthusiast Posts: 74 Join Date: 17/07/15 Recent Posts

Once and extension relief has been granted that is it. If subsequently the owner did anything within the footprint of the dwelling such as subdivision then there would be no CIL liability. As I have commented on here before, with a bit of creative thinking it is possible to get round a lot of the CIL regs.