Back

Counting completions when calculating 5 year housing land supply

NW
Nikki Webb, modified 3 Months ago.

Counting completions when calculating 5 year housing land supply

New Member Posts: 2 Join Date: 08/04/22 Recent Posts

Hi, 

I have a query about the Housing Supply and Delivery guidance. This guidance clearly says that 'Local planning authorities will need to count housing provided for older people, including residential institutions in Use Class C2, as part of their housing land supply.'  I have applied the ratio for a number of care homes sites in our area and included them in our five year supply figure. Once complete, it would be logical to assume that these schemes are included in the completion figures when next calculating five year housing land supply. However, the same guidance (para 29) states that  'For the purposes of calculating 5 year land supply, housing completions include new build dwellings, conversions, changes of use and demolitions and redevelopments. Completions should be net figures, so should offset any demolitions.' It does not mention communal accommodation. Does this mean that they cannot be included when calculating five year supply or is this just another inconsistency?  I'm probably over thinking this but just wanted to know what other peoples' take was on this piece of guidance.  Thank you.

BV
Benjamin Vickers, modified 4 Months ago.

RE: Counting completions when calculating 5 year housing land supply

New Member Posts: 19 Join Date: 01/04/20 Recent Posts

Hi Nikki, 

We include bedspaces in our five-year supply. We have an agreed approach to this via our local plan examination (prior to the introduction of the HDT), but otherwise I wouldnt hesitate to use the HDT ratios as supply. 

AR
Andrew Reading, modified 3 Months ago.

Enthusiast Posts: 26 Join Date: 27/07/15 Recent Posts

Hi Nicki, 

Like you say I was a bit confused that in terms of counting completions PPG doesn't mention residential institutions, only mentions it in terms of the supply side. Of course it doesn't say they shouldn't be included. Like you say its probably an issue of us overthinking it.

I have been taking it however that given they are included as part of the housing flows reconciliation return for the HDT (which is essentially reporting completions), they should be included, as otherwise there will be inconsistencies between what your land supply report and what the gov's HDT is saying about past completions. 

There is also just the fundamental point of logic for me - if we are relying on them in terms of housing land supply, when it comes to the point of them being constructed we must surely be able to count them as completions (apply the relevant HDT ratios of course). Any other approach would just seem totally illogical for me. 

KC
Kate Calderbank, modified 3 Months ago.

New Member Posts: 7 Join Date: 29/10/19 Recent Posts

I agree - and our approach is to include C2 communal accommodation (mostly care homes) in our SHLAA/5 year supply figures, and we also include the delivery of these sites in our completion figures in the HFR and in our housing trajectory in our AMR. I apply the ratio calculation to translate bedspaces into equivalent number of dwelling units. I also show the figures in a breakdown for the purposes of clarity.
As the others say, it seems most logical to include in forecasts AND reported completions, any other way would leave inconsistencies in one place or another!

NW
Nikki Webb, modified 3 Months ago.

New Member Posts: 2 Join Date: 08/04/22 Recent Posts

Thank you for your constructive comments. It certainly seems logical to include the care home bed spaces (after applying the ratio) with other completions when calculating five year supply. It's helpful to learn what other do :)

GD
Gareth Draper, modified 3 Months ago.

New Member Posts: 3 Join Date: 02/01/14 Recent Posts

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has experienced any challenge at appeal about whether C2 should be included in housing land supply, and if so, what the outcome was?

Thanks