Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Today

Permitted development, housing and health impact - survey request

thumbnail
Rosalie Callway, modified 1 Month ago.

Permitted development, housing and health impact - survey request

New Member Posts: 3 Join Date: 22/05/11 Recent Posts

The Town and Country Planning Association (TCPA) are conducting a short survey of local authorities across England to understand experiences of managing the quality and location of conversions to residential use through 'Permitted Development' rights.

The survey is part of a wider research project, ‘Investigating the Potential Health Impacts of Planning Deregulation: the case of permitted development in England’ led by Bartlett School of Planning, UCL and funded by National Institute for Health Research (NIHR). You can find further information about the project here. Also our report reviewing national policy and rules around PD housing conversion is available: here

This survey is particularly aimed at local planning officers, development and building control officers, as well as environmental health officers.

We would be grateful if you could complete the survey and/or forward our request to relevant colleagues: Local authority survey on conversion to residential use through Permitted Development (microsoft.com)

The survey should take less than 10 minutes to complete. Responses will be kept anonymous and used to inform a series of regional roundtable consultations we are convening around the country. If you are also interested to join a roundtable you can sign up at the end of the survey. 

Thank you in advance for your responses.

nicholas waring, modified 1 Month ago.

RE: Permitted development, housing and health impact - survey request

Enthusiast Posts: 29 Join Date: 21/01/12 Recent Posts

particularly aimed at local planning officers, development and building control officers, as well as environmental health officers. ......................................but not exclusively?

I am a retired architect, planner

the first set of questions are repetitive

thumbnail

Hi Nicholas, thanks for taking a look and for the feedback. If you have experience of working with managing the quality of Permitted Development conversion to residential use then we would welcome your response.

The main aim of the survey is to better understand how local authorities and relevant public bodies are engagaing with homes produced in this way, and how they view the regulatory levers that are available to them to help improve the quality of what is produced. 

Best wishes,

Rosalie

thumbnail
Tony Higgins, modified 1 Month ago.

New Member Post: 1 Join Date: 20/10/11 Recent Posts

Hi Rosalie,

Like Nicholas above, I'm not a LA employee (I used to be for nearly 25 years!) but an environmental consultant, so the form was a little cumbersome to complete for me (and I agree has some duplication).  

This appears to be a very wide ranging piece of research.  Health and Housing itself is a massive area of concern, physical housing conditions are clearly only a part of the health equation, with demographics, socioeconomic status, regional variations, and host of other things that I am sure your project team have covered.

My observation is that you may not be accessing all the relevant data with a narrow focus on permitted development, there are also problems with unauthorised development, and new development where robust building control regulation lacking, and a new home is not fit for habitation as a result .  There is also a clear issue with conversion of buildings to HMO's under PD, particularly where the new HMO falls below the HMO licenisng thresholds [link].   I would hope that you will include Council Housing Department and Housing Associations in your review as both will have data on these issues.  It may also be helpful to engage with Social Care Departments as they will have specific information on community need. 

Clearly buildings are designed and constructed for particular uses. e.g. industrial use of profiled steel sheeting compared to brickwork in resdential applications.  The gross changes in land use under permitted development may have implications for lower than expected standards where a new land use is more sensitive. e.g. residential occupation of light industrial buildings.  Moreover the basis of health impact from poor house conditions needs to be standardised against robust data sets that provide an unbiased and robust assessment of the health issues related to property.

My assumption is that you plan to review the health impacts in line with HHSRS [link].  In which case you have potentially a huge dataset to work with, as all Local Authorities use this method to identify hazards in homes, and categorise the health impact.  Obviously the data is skewed to the worst parts of the housing portfolio that are identified through complaint.  The hazards are all scored (allowing comparison of relative risk) by EHO's/Housing professionals, and the outcomes are Cat 1 or Cat 2 hazards that are then subject to enforcement outcomes based on the relative risk. Notwithstanding the above comments for wider consideration, it may be possible to cross reference housing inspection HHSRS data with prior notification PD on council GIS systems if you engage with LA Housing and Planning Departments.  It may be that contacting the Chartered Institute of Environmerntal Health and see if they can assist with identification and coordination and access that data (see CIEH Housing Advisory Panel [link]).  

The House Surveys [link] conditions is also partly derived mainly from EH sources and may provide useful standardising reporting/comparison.

This seems like a very interesting project, and I am sure you have the above already in hand.  I hope you get a good response.

thumbnail

Hi Tony,

thanks for your comments and suggestions about the survey.

This survey is tied to a specific piece of funded research led by UCL, solely focusing on homes produced through PD conversion. The TCPA's wider Healthy Homes campaign is concerned about the poor quality of new builds as well as about homes from PD - which as you note are also facing real challenges regarding the enforcement of minimum building regulations, let alone promoting healthier outcomes. CIEH is one of the campaign coalition supporting organisations. You can find further info about our campaign here: Campaign for Healthy Homes - Town and Country Planning Association (tcpa.org.uk)  

As an initial piece of work for the PD research, we conducted a review of current policies and regulations regarding PD rules, housing and health. In the review we used the Healthy Homes principles, developed with the campaign coalition, to examine at how each principle are currently supported. We found that all but one of the HH principles were clearly addressed under PD rules. You can find more info here: Permitted development, housing and health: a review of national policy and regulations - Town and Country Planning Association (tcpa.org.uk) .  

We didn't use the Decent Homes Standard and HHSRS for the review, as the standard (currently) only formally applies to social housing and not to private rental or those in temporary accomodation (which can occur under PD). Although these tenures are assessed by the Building Research Establishment against the HHSRS it is not mandatory for private developers & landlords to comply with them. The Campaign for Healthy Homes is trying to push the focus beyond minimum prevention of harm from these category one and two hazards, and more towards health promotion through the creation of good quality, well-connected, inclusive and resilient homes.  

Do let me know if you would like to be kept updated on the campaign work and I can add you to our e-update list? Best, Rosalie