Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Grŵp agored | Wedi dechrau - Gorffenaf 2012 | Gweithgaredd diwethaf - May

s106 and community self build

Former Member, Addaswyd 12 Years yn ôl.

s106 and community self build

I am no longer in practice but keep a look-out for ways in which to try and improve my local community. Is anyone out there able to advise me on the legailities and practicalities of using s106 in the following manner: instead of securing completed affordable housing units via s106 could not the deveopler instead -as a condition of pp-donate the requisite amount of serviced building land divided up into plots which a properly constituted community self build group could then progress to completion. Obviously there are lots of pitfalls and cul-de-sacs in this approach but I understand the gov is looking at ways to cut the red tape associated with self build;also those on the housing register might relish the oportunity to acquire or part rent/part buy a dwelling which they and others have helped to build and thus benefit from a reduction in the price through their costed labour input. Sorry if this might have been mentioned before or is a non-started but I thought I wd ask as the local town and district councils are trying to wrestle with the usual problems of afforability and the out-migration of its young people.
Former Member, Addaswyd 12 Years yn ôl.

Re: s106 and community self build

It is not infrequent for the 'sweat equity' of self build to count towards affordable housing. Quite a few schemes in Wales in pert have been exempted - did not stop the self build companies going bankrupt.
Former Member, Addaswyd 11 Years yn ôl.

Re: s106 and community self build

Andrew, I know its an old thread but I am researching the subject of sweat equity social housing. Do you have any details of the projects you referred to?