Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Grŵp agored | Wedi dechrau - Gorffenaf 2012 | Gweithgaredd diwethaf - May

use of CIL to promote Sprinklers in develpoments.

Former Member, Addaswyd 12 Years yn ôl.

use of CIL to promote Sprinklers in develpoments.

Would it be feasable to set planning obligations to install sprinkler systems into developments by off setting against a Levy charge. The levy charge would be collectable or offset against installation of sprinkler systems in public buildings and high risk occupancy buildings, set against the criteria of "Community Safety" as being identified in the CIL guidance document.

Re: use of CIL to promote Sprinklers in develpoments.

I think the question to ask is - would installing a sprinkler system help to support extra development? I might be wrong, but I'm not sure that it would.

You cannot offset anything against a CIL charge. Paying CIL is compulsory. In terms of any potential spending choices a council may have - they need to decide if it is Infrastructure that supports the development of their area. The charging authority will be the ones that decide what supports the development of their area.

Thanks Mark and Gillian for your comments. I am working to try to validate any potential sprinklers may have in supporting development, what i have come up with is location, access, water supplies, and possible relaxation of internal/external building regulations. This would maybe entice developers to more rural areas, where in cornwall, could be deemed as potentially very commercially viable.

Mark I think it would be worth you speaking to Phil Bryan at Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service who has been asking me very similar questions! pbryan@derbys-fire.gov.uk Harriet