Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Grŵp agored | Wedi dechrau - Gorffenaf 2012 | Gweithgaredd diwethaf - Heddiw

Mobile Homes and CIL

Former Member, Addaswyd 12 Years yn ôl.

Mobile Homes and CIL

Hi All, for the purposes of CIL is a mobile home (either a single or twin unit) a "building" and therefore "development" for the purposes of s.206(1) of the Planning Act 2008? The definition of "building" in the T&CP Act 1990 includes "any structure or erection" and the Caravan Sites Act defines a "twin-unit caravan" as "A structure ....". However for other planning purposes e.g. enforcement, inspectors have held that a mobile home is not a building. I am aware of the dangers of using the definitions in one piece of legislation for purposes in connection with another. Is there a consensus view on this?
Former Member, Addaswyd 12 Years yn ôl.

Re: Mobile Homes and CIL

A caravan means any structure designed or adapted for human habitation which is capable of being moved from one place to another (whether by being towed, or by being transported on a motor vehicle or trailer)
Former Member, Addaswyd 10 Years yn ôl.

Mobile Homes and CIL

I'm assessing an application for a static caravan and an accompanyning building which is described as a day room and includes a dining room and bathrooms.  Are there any views as to whether the static caravan would be considered a building for CIL purposes?

Former Member, Addaswyd 10 Years yn ôl.

Mobile Homes and CIL

Tony, I wouldn't consider a caravan liable for CIL, basically because of the point you make, for planning purposes it is considered a use of land rather than a building. Having said that, there is concern that this could represent another potential loophole within CIL, as the size parameters for some twin unit caravans is fairly large.