Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Grŵp agored | Wedi dechrau - Gorffenaf 2012 | Gweithgaredd diwethaf - Ddoe

Social Media and Decisions on planning applications

Former Member, Addaswyd 10 Years yn ôl.

Social Media and Decisions on planning applications

Social Media, Facebook, Twitter, snap chat, watsap are now a way of life for most of us.

However, what is its role in planning and esp. in the decision making process on planning applications and decision making?

As a Council we have fb and twitter feeds and use these to promote planning, clarify misconceptions and publish planning committees and decisions of the committee.

Over the last year or so I have seen and increasing use of these to garner objections to planning applications and in one recent case it was successful in generation over 1,400 to a single application, truly community involvement. However, many of the posts became personal, named officers and made unfounded allegations about the planning process.

As a result of this we are reviewing how we should respond to false and malicious allegations and I was wondering is anyone else had a 'policy' or view on this matter as I have little doubt the trend will grow.

Chris Dowell, Addaswyd 9 Years yn ôl.

RE: Social Media and Decisions on planning applications

New Member Postiadau: 8 Dyddiad Ymuno: 19/10/2011 Bostiadau diweddar

We have been thinking about doing the same thing and have been tweeting committees for a short while. I hope in the end we might be able to phase out the neighbour notification letters but that is some way off.

We do have a concern that we might miss objections on social media and would then be subject to a complaint and it is this that is holding us back at the moment. I am also concerned about the abuse that we might recieve.

But from early next year we should be tweeting links to all the major applciations and I hope that will increase the "foot fall" on the site and direct anyone who is interested to look at the applciation details.