Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Grŵp agored | Wedi dechrau - Gorffenaf 2012 | Gweithgaredd diwethaf - Heddiw

Adoption - advice in Plan-Making Manual needs improvement?

Former Member, Addaswyd 12 Years yn ôl.

Adoption - advice in Plan-Making Manual needs improvement?

We are shortly (Monday) going to adopt our Norfolk Mins & Waste Core Strategy (should County Council approve it) and I have therefore been checking the formal steps required post-adoption. The stages set out in Reg 36 etc of the Development Plan Regs are clear enough. However, the Plan-Making Manual (under the Reg 36 heading) states that the adoption statement should set out some additional elements (not included in Reg 36 itself), such as the reasons for not choosing alternatives, and monitoring measures. There are also some differences between which consultees should be informed about the adoption of the DPD. After doing some digging I realised that these other requirements are set out in the Environmental Assessment of Plans and Programmes Regs 2004. Whilst the planning system is obviously in some flux at present, it seems to me that it would be helpful for the Plan-Making Manual to add some references to the Env Assessment Regs, so that planners are clear exactly what is required under these regs (as well as the Development Plan Regs). I think this would be helpful for assisting LPAs in avoiding some of the problems that have arisen, such as the 'Forest Heath' judgement (Save Historic Newmarket Ltd v. Forest Heath District Council [2011] EWHC 606). It seems to me that this could probably be done quickly and easily....am I right? Adam Nicholls Senior Planner Norfolk County Council