Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Grŵp agored | Wedi dechrau - Gorffenaf 2012 | Gweithgaredd diwethaf - Heddiw

Rural housing sustainable without employment land expansion?

Former Member, Addaswyd 12 Years yn ôl.

Rural housing sustainable without employment land expansion?

Is provision of extra employment land necessary for significant expansion of housing ( for the working aged) in rural areas to be sustainable (NPPF style); in the context of it simply generating more commuters and possibly more unemployed and/or especially in small villages without schools .

Re: Rural housing sustainable without employment land expansion? Is it sus

This is just a bump - I'd be interested in peoples' thoughts

Re: Rural housing sustainable without employment land expansion?

Housing and employment land requirements are inter-related so it makes sense to try to 'match' rural housing provision with additional land for employment uses in village locations.

Generally I would have the answer is "yes", although it partly depends on what is deemed 'significant' in terms of new housing numbers. Our authority has used several readily available sources of info as a proxy guide to the need for new employment within individual villages, including: - Parish Unemployment rate - Economic activity rate - Ratio of in:out commuting - % commuting other than by car - IMD scores We will be promoting mixed use allocations wherever possible, but particulaly in settlements that demonstrate a strong need for new employment on the above factors.

I would say generally, yes, but not always. What about a situation where there is already significant existing employment uses and an under supply of labour - additional housing in that area would therefore go towards strengthening the local economy, without necessarily requiring an allocation of additional employment land.