Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Grŵp agored | Wedi dechrau - Gorffenaf 2012 | Gweithgaredd diwethaf - May

Affordable Housing SPD's

Former Member, Addaswyd 15 Years yn ôl.

Affordable Housing SPD's

Hi, I was wondering if anyone would know if SPD's need to go through 'a test of soundness'. Ive had a consultee response saying that it does, otherwise the document can/should be dismissed in a planning appeal. so I just wondered if this was correct, as the guidance I found only refers to DPD's? Thankyou
Helen Willows, Addaswyd 15 Years yn ôl.

Re: Affordable Housing SPD's

New Member Postiadau: 19 Dyddiad Ymuno: 19/10/2011 Bostiadau diweddar
Given that SPDs are prepared to provide greater detail on DPD policies which have been subject to the test of soundness (or saved UDP policies) I can't see why the SPD should be subject to a test of soundness. Also, where would the test be made - SPDs aren't going to be examined, but are adopted by the Authority that produces them. Will be interested to see further responses though.

The requirement for soundness is contained in S20(5) of the 2004 Act, and only applies to documents requiring an Independent Examination. So I don't think SPDs are required to prove soundness, as such. There is no reference to soundness in the (rather short) section 7 of PPS12, nor in the new regs (new Part 5). However, it MAY be that an SPD which is not sufficiently flexible, evidence based, appropriate (etc etc) will have less weight on appeal than one which is, but not on the basis of soundness as such.

We have had similar responses to SPD consultation but it is only DPDs which are required to meet the test of soundness. And as SPDs do not require public examination, who is going to verify the tests have been met?