Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Grŵp agored | Wedi dechrau - Gorffenaf 2012 | Gweithgaredd diwethaf - May

Transition Initiatives and Energy Descent Planning

Former Member, Addaswyd 15 Years yn ôl.

Transition Initiatives and Energy Descent Planning

In flagging up the energy supply vulnerabilities we face, the Transition Towns 'movement' is filling a current think-and-do gap around the country and internationally. I'm wondering what experience other planners have of engaging with this agenda, where you think it fits best in LA strategy and what are the implications for current policy and guidance. Phil Newcombe Dip TP Marches Energy Agency
Former Member, Addaswyd 15 Years yn ôl.

Re: Transition Initiatives and Energy Descent Planning

Phil This sounds intriguing, do you have any useful references for where some information can be found on energy, planning and transition towns please.
thumbnail
William Josey, Addaswyd 14 Years yn ôl.

New Member Post: 1 Dyddiad Ymuno: 04/04/2013 Bostiadau diweddar
I work as a DC Officer in Leicester and have been involved in my local Transition group for a year. We have a monthly internal training session and Transition did an introduction to the movement and the main issues behind it (peak oil and climate change). We will have another session (next May!!!) that will be a workshop on creating a new LDF for Leicester in preparation for when oil prices rocket. Hopefully they will not have done so by then. I believe the issue is highly relevant for planning. Assuming we can manage energy decline in a civilised manner (and I would go so far as to say all bets are off for the future of our civilisation at the moment) then I think we can say goodbye to the current 'regeneration' model (redeveloping former industrial areas for residential, focus on knowledge economy PLUS hypermobility with shipping goods from China, cheap motoring and budget flights) and say hello to local manufacturing, market gardens around cities and a large number of people moving to the countryside so they can be near to their place of work (farms). So far I have seen no engagement with this matter in the UK. The Post Carbon Institute has a section who are looking at planning and I recommend starting there for a planning perspective on energy descent. If anyone would like to start dialogue on this matter then I would like to talk to them. For a more general introduction the following websites are good: James Howard Kunstler (tends to focus more on planning related issues than other websites - his weekly analysis of current events is very good) Energy Bulletin Post Carbon Institute Club Orlov The Oil Drum Simmons & Co - Speeches and Papers section
Former Member, Addaswyd 14 Years yn ôl.

Having been part of a bid for the SSCI programme, I'm fairly familiar with latest Scottish thinking but would welcome any links to Scottish initiatives. Since developers are still submitting planning applications with prioritise bigger garages and more parking space, the Transition Towns movement is important.