Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Grŵp agored | Wedi dechrau - Gorffenaf 2012 | Gweithgaredd diwethaf - May

The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order

Former Member, Addaswyd 13 Years yn ôl.

The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order

Dear all, please bare with me it is my first time on this forum. I am hoping there is an easy answer to this. My team have just been made aware that a Statutory Instrument came into force in April 2010 (2010 No. 654). Is there a way of printing the WHOLE GPDO (with all amendments etc), rather than the 1995 editions with separate amendments. Also is there an easy way of being made aware of new Statutory Instruments coming into force? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Re: The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order

Hi Kelly, The best way is to find a copy in something like the encyclopedia of planning law, as this includes a composite version including later amendments. My authority has it in both paper and on line versions. The only downside is that there is a lead in time before new updates are incorporated. You may find third party sites on the web where this has been done, but as with all web publications, there is no certainty that it is either correct or upto date. It is an absolute devilish job to start from scratch and update it yourself (believe me, I tried it with the GDPO) a complete nightmare. Lots of legal type services provide a regular weekly update, giving warning of when new SI's and legislation are published. Dean

This pretty much covers it I think... http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/government/policy/legislation/si

the old answer was www.statutelaw.gov.uk the new answer will be www.legislation.gov.uk however there are warnings that they are still cutting across the records, and some amendments haven't been applied. That said, the DPA98 document did reflect the amendments that went live in April. (the £500k for losing personal data, etc. chnages)

Worries over... SI 2010 No. 2184 The Town and Country Planning (Development Management Proceedure)(England) Order 2010 has just revoked all the GDPO's and replaced them in one new booklet... untill they find a typo or need to change it. Some subtle changes... Parishes have 21 days to reply... ect

Hi Phil - Kelly appears to have been refering to the General Permitted Development Order, rather than the General Development Procedure Order, although the latter is very welcome. Lets hope that an amalgamation of the former comes soon...?! Dave

oppse

This is CLG's stated reason for the use of Development Management in the title. To quote - "It was considered desirable to change the name of the Order from GDPO to DMPO to avoid confusion with the General Permitted Development Order (GPDO)." Confused. com

Kelly, A good way of keeping up to date with news and changes in the planning world is to sign up to the planning portal weekly newsletter: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/wps/portal/PpRegister There are other government services such as LG knowledge and info4local which you migth want to look at.
Steve Speed - The Planning Jungle website, Addaswyd 11 Years yn ôl.

Enthusiast Postiadau: 70 Dyddiad Ymuno: 12/08/2013 Bostiadau diweddar
Hi all, I know this is a very old thread, but I came across it when searching ... As far as I'm aware, a free up-to-date consolidated version of the GPDO 1995 is not available. The government website www.legislation.gov.uk only provides consolidated versions for primary legislation (e.g. the TCPA 1990, the Localism Act 2011, etc), and not for secondary legislation (e.g. the Advertisements Regs 2007, the DMPO 2010, etc). Although the Planning Encyclopaedia and the Planning Jungle website (note: the latter is my website) both provide consolidated versions of the GPDO 1995, these are only available to paid subscribers. The Planning Jungle website also provides a free version of this document (see the following webpage), but it only incorporates amendment Statutory Instruments (SIs) up until January 2012 (this has been done to distinguish the free version from the paid version): http://planningjungle.com/consolidated-versions-of-legislation/gpdo-1995-consolidated-free-version/ The Planning Portal does attempt to provide a list of which amendment SIs apply to the GPDO 1995 on the following webpage: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/responsibilities/planningpermission/permitted However, the above list is particularly unhelpful, as it currently includes 2 SIs that do not amend the GPDO 1995, and omits 16 SIs that do amend the GPDO 1995. The fact that the government doesn't provide consolidated versions for secondary legislation is not only very inconvenient and inefficient from the point of view of people using the legislation, but it also significantly increases the risk of mistakes being made. For example, in the appeal decision reference "APP/X2220/X/11/2144338" (see the following webpage), the local authority’s decision notice and the Inspector’s decision notice both referred to a part of the legislation that had been superseded more than 2 years earlier as the sole reason for refusing the application: http://www.pcs.planningportal.gov.uk/pcsportal/ViewCase.asp?caseid=2144338&coid=2050 Hope the above helps, Steve