Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Grŵp agored | Wedi dechrau - Gorffenaf 2012 | Gweithgaredd diwethaf - Wythnos yma

Replacement windows all over / side first floor

Adine Schrankel, Addaswyd 13 Years yn ôl.

Replacement windows all over / side first floor

New Member Postiadau: 3 Dyddiad Ymuno: 11/08/2013 Bostiadau diweddar
Can anyone answer if replacement windows, are an engineering operation and thus development. The next question is whether they are permitted by the GPDO. In the case of dwellinghouses Class A the section on windows states: A.3 Development is permitted by Class A subject to the following conditions— (a) the materials used in any exterior work (other than materials used in the construction of a conservatory) shall be of a similar appearance to those used in the construction of the exterior of the existing dwellinghouse; (b) any upper-floor window located in a wall or roof slope forming a side elevation of the dwellinghouse shall be— (i) obscure-glazed, and (ii) non-opening unless the parts of the window which can be opened are more than 1.7 metres above the floor of the room in which the window is installed; and (c) where the enlarged part of the dwellinghouse has more than one storey, the roof pitch of the enlarged part shall, so far as practicable, be the same as the roof pitch of the original dwellinghouse. The word development at the beginning of the section suggests they are 'development' which is permitted in particular circumstances. This section doesn't differentiate between replacement windows or windows in new openings because it uses the word 'any'. Therefore although this may have not been the writers intention, it appears both must follow the same criteria, and therefore any upper floor window, whether a replacement or a new one in a new opening must meet criteria (i) and (ii) in order to benefit from the rights under Class A
Former Member, Addaswyd 13 Years yn ôl.

Re: Replacement windows all over / side first floor

I would have thought that replacement windows were a building as opposed to an engineering operation, but what is more important is that for 'development' to have taken place the replacement windows must materially affect the external appearence of the building. On that basis a like for like replacement would not be development, and the provisions of the permitted development order would not be relevent. Where development has taken place it seems to me (as you say) that the permitted development order makes no distinction between new and replacement windows. Mind you, I work in Scotland so wouldn't profess to be an expert on the Engish GPDO!