Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Grŵp agored | Wedi dechrau - Gorffenaf 2012 | Gweithgaredd diwethaf - May

EIA Screening Opinions

Former Member, Addaswyd 13 Years yn ôl.

EIA Screening Opinions

Does anyone have a methodology or proceedure to hand on how a planning authority undertakes and produces a screening opinion when such a request is made to the LPA. An example to hand I have is for the erection of a single 50m hub height wind turbine. My question is centred around how the LPA (without conducting extensive consultations) determines whether the proposal falls outside the Schedule 3 Selection Criteria of the EIA Regs.
Jon Allinson, Addaswyd 13 Years yn ôl.

Re: EIA Screening Opinions

Enthusiast Postiadau: 32 Dyddiad Ymuno: 19/10/2011 Bostiadau diweddar
I have a similar situation and would be interested to know what feedback was received.

This is a very general observation, but in my experience the best way to approach this is apply your own interpretation based on the advice in circular 02/99. The EIA regs are not there to be necessarily applied 'hard and fast', but allow authorities to apply judgements on how the development impacts on the site specific circumstances of the local environment. It is therefore down to the judgement of the authority on each individual case to set out the reasons to screen yes or no. For a single wind turbine, landscape impacts and whether it will affect an SPA/SAC in terms of migrating birds (which may trigger Appropriate Assessment) are the most obvious potential harmful environmental impacts. Cheers

A t Herefordshire we have set up a Screening Opinion Checklist to take you through the process. It works well. I am happy to provide this - so please conatct me if you are interested
Tim Dawson, Addaswyd 13 Years yn ôl.

New Member Postiadau: 15 Dyddiad Ymuno: 20/10/2011 Bostiadau diweddar
For a single turbine it is importnat to bear in mind the potential implications of asking for an EIA on overall development viability. In such circumstances we have not required a full EIA for single turbines, just a proportionate environmental assessment. The guidance checklist on the link below is very helpful: http://ec.europa.eu/environment/eia/eia-guidelines/g-screening-full-text.pdf
thumbnail
Jackie Palmer, Addaswyd 13 Years yn ôl.

New Member Postiadau: 3 Dyddiad Ymuno: 19/10/2011 Bostiadau diweddar
To Mike Willmont I would be grateful to have a copy of your checklist. jackie.palmer@northtyneside.gov.uk Thanks Jackie

To Mike Willmont I would also be grateful to have a copy of your checklist please. graeme.thorpe@ribblevalley.gov.uk Kind regards, Graeme
Former Member, Addaswyd 12 Years yn ôl.

To Mike Wilmont I would also be most grateful to have a copy of your checklist. achapman@wellingborough.gov.uk Many thanks...P.S. If Graeme or Jackie have already received a copy the prehaps you may ping me a copy...just in case

Mike, Would would you feel comfortable posting a copy of the checklist on this forum? It seems that many people would be interested in sharing the approach that you have developed, and it will save you having to email individual copies.

Dear All I've been following this thread with some interest. Many planning authorities in Scotland are now dealing with two and three applications a week for turbines. Because Feed In Tariffs for bigger turbines may be reduced next April, there's a rush for the bigger stuff. For small to medium sized turbines, in many cases funding is a bigger problem than planning. I'd be happy to see this checklist posted or to receive a copy directly. Screening is now becoming a big topic since various screening requirements can obviously affect costs and outcomes of applications. Thank you - Les H

Would be grateful to have sight of the checklist as well please; and how others have recorded their opinion so we meet Reg 7 requirements as well.

Dear Mike, I would also be grateful of the checklist your authority has compiled to ascertain whether turbine applications would fall outside the requirements. E-mail address: magnusgallie@yahoo.co.uk Many thanks, Magnus Gallie

NPCU and PINS have recently uploaded an EIA screening template on the planning portal - (http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/planning/appeals/online/tutorialshelp/onlineappealservicelpahelp/onlineappealservicehelpforlpas) The new EIA Regulations of 24 August 2011 also add 3 new regulations to give LPAs greater clarity on the screeningprocess. In essence, as a brief steer on the original query re how to handle screening of a single wind turbine, the key issue is likely to be whether the turbine is in proximity to a sensitive site, as defined by the EIA Regs. If it is, then the threshold for EIA triggered by column 2 of Schedule 2 will be met, and an EIA will be required to address risk of significant impact on the particular sensitivities of that site to wind turbine effects (see Martin White's comments above). Hope that this helps. Bernice
thumbnail
Chris Nash, Addaswyd 12 Years yn ôl.

Enthusiast Postiadau: 38 Dyddiad Ymuno: 11/08/2013 Bostiadau diweddar
If you have difficulty with Bernice's link above, remove the end bracket

Mike I would also be most grateful to have a copy of your checklist. Shirley.Ross@eastriding.gov.uk Kind regards Shirley
Former Member, Addaswyd 10 Years yn ôl.

EIA Screening Opinions

This is an automated response to thank you for your e-mail, its receipt and to advise I am not working today. I aim to reply to you within three working days on my return to work. If your enquiry concerns a planning application or enforcement matter that I am dealing with then please re-send your e-mail to planning@wellingborough.gov.uk if you require an immediate response, as emails sent to my address will not be dealt with until after my return to work. If you have not heard from me within three working days after receiving this automated response, please contact Carol Haybyrne on chaybyrne@wellingborough.gov.uk (telephone 01933 231514) who will update you on my availability. However, if the matter is URGENT please contact either:- Mike Kilpin on 01933 231930 - mkilpin@wellingborough.gov.uk Paul Bateman on 01933 231770 - pbateman@wellingborough.gov.uk Julie Thomas on 01933 231932 - jthomas@wellingborough.gov.uk ________________________________________________________________________ All emails and attachments from employees of the Borough Council of Wellingborough are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed and are opened at your own risk. If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender immediately and delete the mail from your system. Unauthorised use or disclosure may be unlawful. Opinions expressed in this email may not be official policy of the Borough Council of Wellingborough. The information contained in this e-mail, and in your reply, may be subject to disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and confidentiality cannot be guaranteed. ________________________________________________________________________