Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Grŵp agored | Wedi dechrau - Gorffenaf 2012 | Gweithgaredd diwethaf - May

Energy Efficiency versus Building Regulations

Former Member, Addaswyd 13 Years yn ôl.

Energy Efficiency versus Building Regulations

I am investigating a dichotomy facing those who design and construct new places of worship. This class of buildings are exempt from Part ‘L’ of the building regulations. However, this exemption is obviously not carried through to the emerging and differing energy conservation policies embedded within DPD’s. Places of worship are exempt from building regulations as generally they have a very small use pattern and are constructed using essentially community funding. Also, when a well insulated building is filled with people, the issue is cooling and not heating. Payback periods for new technology are typically far longer and frequently outside of the lifetime of the product, thus placing undue financial pressure on projects. Has anyone any practical experience of this problem, and any suggestions as to whether policy should acknowledge this matter or whether all buildings should conform irrespective of their status in building regulations?

Re: Energy Efficiency versus Building Regulations

Application of energy efficiency requirements Although Part L does not apply to the places of Worship under Regulation 21but the majority of places of worship built thesedays are multi functional and used for many purposes such as weddings, childeren's creche, community meetings,etc. Part L does apply in these cases as the building is not used for worship reasons only. The designers have to take that into account.

Re: Energy Efficiency versus Building Regulations

Reza, thanks for your reply. As you say, most places of worship are multi-functional. Such buildings should obviously not be treated any differently from any normal non-residential construction. However, I specifically had in mind those which are genuinely only used for worship. My personal research indicates that although these buildings find exclusion in Regulation 21, most if not all local authorities fail to recognise this in Planning policy or conditions. This was the reason I raised the question, although it seems to have attracted little response! Thanks again for your comment.