Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Grŵp agored | Wedi dechrau - Gorffenaf 2012 | Gweithgaredd diwethaf - May

New Homes Bonus - Student Accommodation

Former Member, Addaswyd 12 Years yn ôl.

New Homes Bonus - Student Accommodation

We are promoting a scheme for a large student village including around 2500 student bed-spaces. Does anyone have experience of or knowledge of how or if the New Homes Bonus applies to student accommodation? Any advice or suggestions would be most welcome! Thanks

Re: New Homes Bonus - Student Accommodation

It depends how the student accommodation is configured i.e. how self-contained each student space is. It could be delivered as x bed self-contained flats, homes in multiple occupation or communal establishment accommodation resulting in anywhere between 0 and 2500 new homes.

I understand what you mean, in terms of whether the units are classed as C3 dwelling houses or not. I presume therefore that if we are talking halls of residence, they would not qualify. However if we are talking self-contained units, would these still qualify if they were still specifically targeted as student properties. Thanks for your help so far.

DirectGov has the following to say: "If you live in university halls, or in a house where everyone is classed as a full-time student for Council Tax purposes, you’ll be exempt from paying Council Tax." Link: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/LifeAtUniversityOrCollege/DG_071488 Therefore, on your scheme, as with many I deal with, the students won't be liable for council tax. As far as I understand it (does anyone?) the New Homes Bonus is dished out on the basis of Councils stating how many extra propreties are subject to council tax from one year to the next. So, student accommodation only occupied by students - whether halls of residence, flats or another format - won't attract a New Homes Bonus.

good point Andrew, that does make sense and I think it safe to assume there would be none, given, as you say, there is no Council Tax revenue to match. I believe I have my answer so thanks to you both for your assistance. Regards Mike

I think you may need to look at the how units are recorded on the necessary forms on this one. If the units would appear on the Valuation LIst, they will then subsequently appear on the annual Council Tax Base return, which itself forms the basis of net additions to attract the Bonus. So how you configure the units may have a significant impact on the potential bonus that could be generated. I've copied one of the FAQs from DCLG link below which seems to indicate this. Extract from http://www.communities.gov.uk/housing/housingsupply/newhomesbonus/newhomesbonusquestions/ Will the New Homes Bonus be paid on purpose built student accommodation or similar types of purpose built clustered accommodation? Any new homes built and properties brought back into use which are recorded in line 1 of the council tax base form, will be included in the bonus calculations. This data will include student or other purpose built accommodation as reported by the Valuation Office. At this stage the Government does not propose to exclude student accommodation which is recorded under line 2 of the council tax base form which allows local authorities to record student council tax exemption.