Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Grŵp agored | Wedi dechrau - Gorffenaf 2012 | Gweithgaredd diwethaf - May

Student Accommodation / New Homes Bonus and Five Year Land Supply

Former Member, Addaswyd 12 Years yn ôl.

Student Accommodation / New Homes Bonus and Five Year Land Supply

Hello I have received conflicting information and am seeking advice. Please could someone let me know if purpose built student accommodation triggers the new homes bonus payment? We are seeking to provide a scheme for approx. 1,000 – 2,300 units. Given that students are exempt from paying council tax (subject to relevant forms etc) would this still trigger the new homes bonus payment or not? Advice on the FAQ’s on Communities and Local government website suggests the new homes bonus would be payable for purpose built student accommodation. Many authorities are seeking to include student accommodation within their five year land supply would this have any implications for triggering the new homes bonus? Comments and thoughts much appreciated Jen Ashworth
Former Member, Addaswyd 12 Years yn ôl.

Re: Student Accommodation / New Homes Bonus and Five Year Land Supply

Hi, This is taken from the frequently asked questions on the CLG webpage. Will the New Homes Bonus be paid on purpose built student accommodation or similar types of purpose built clustered accommodation? Any new homes built and properties brought back into use which are recorded in line 1 of the Council Tax Base form will be included in the bonus calculations. This data will include student or other purpose built accommodation as reported by the Valuation Office. At this stage the Government does not propose to exclude student accommodation or similar purpose clustered accommodation including sheltered homes for the elderly. I think that is quite clear that purpose built student accommodation is included in the New Homes Bonus, but if you want to make sure, you can check with CLG by emailing them here: newhomesbonus@communities.gsi.gov.uk Hope that helps Harriet