Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Grŵp agored | Wedi dechrau - Gorffenaf 2012 | Gweithgaredd diwethaf - Ddoe

Joint planning and building regulation applications

Former Member, Addaswyd 12 Years yn ôl.

Joint planning and building regulation applications

Is anybody looking into a joint application for planning and building regulation approval? At Cornwall Council we want to see if this will work and what the benefits might be, and so would be very interested in any Authority that has already start some research on this or has such a service already up and running. Any comments would be much appreciated. Bev Devereaux, Cornwall Council

Re: Joint planning and building regulation applications

As far as I am aware this is the way in which planning is done on the continent, especially in Germany. By law you have to submit both in order to gain planning permission. However, the caveat is that there cannot be any deviation from what has been approved, as often happens during the course of a development. This has led to some developments delayed for years in the German courts. To be honest, I think this approach should and would help enforcement officers as the final product often reflects that of the BControl drawings and for obvious reasons the building would therefore be BRegs compliant as well. It would also facilitate joint working within the department. We had a situation only recently where the two pieces of legislation conflicted and the planning offer stated that it is not my duty to understand or indeed know that the plan I am approving is BRegs compliant. My argument in the whole thing is that planners should be accountable for the plans which they approve. Could you let me know how you get on? My email is david.lomas@stalbans.gov.uk. David

Re: Joint planning and building regulation applications

At Stroud we have already combined the LBC and DC applications into one, but for obvious legal reasons still issue one decision notice. We have merged our two admin teams into one (6 years ago) and now we back office process both applications together. The applications go to the respective officers as the skill sets and expertise are differant. The two teams are co-located in the same room and discuss projects together. Planners understand means of escape requirements on fenistration, and building control understand to always check back if the suggest changes on site. We have also combined the enforcement aspects so we get an single approach to prosecution. Someone who has built an unauthorised extension is also likely to have forgoten to inform building control. The building control prosecutions are far simpler, and the fines are readily imposed by the courts. Not sure we are ready to single handle BC and DC applications... but my being a planner and RICS helps to blur the edges