Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Grŵp agored | Wedi dechrau - Gorffenaf 2012 | Gweithgaredd diwethaf - Heddiw

"Lifetime of a development"

Former Member, Addaswyd 11 Years yn ôl.

"Lifetime of a development"

The NPPF S 58. requires planning policies and decisions to aim for developments to function well and add to the overall quality of the area, not just for the short term but over the lifetime of the development. How do you define lifetime of a development? Developers are likely to be concerned of any financial burden being imposed in the implementation of this policy locally in respect to lifetime landscape maintenance and seek that it is reflected in the whole plan viability assessment. If landscaping connected with a development is not maintained then the overall quality of the area may be put at risk and the developement potentially not function as well. Has any one come accross a definition of “lifetime” in this context please? Any thoughts or advice on how to approach developement of a core strategy definition of "lifetime" would be most welcome thank you.

Re: "Lifetime of a development"

The guidance to PPPG 25 for residential development stated lifetime of development should be 100 years in relation to maintenance of surface water drainage systems. Lifetime of development would cease if the development was abandoned or an alternative development is put in place

Thank you for very much for this helpful advice. Just to clarify my posting further please, I am especially interested in information on developing a definition of "Lifetime" relating to the context of a landscape core strategy policy seeking "lifetime" landscape maintenance. Many thanks

I am not sure you can impose a condition requiring a landscaping scheme to be maintained for the lifetime of a development would this not be in breach of the advice on the use of conditions contained in Circular 11/95 and the five tests. The longest period I have seen on a condition is for 7 years maintenance.