Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Ouvert | En cours - juillet 2012 | Dernière modification - Cette semaine

Affordable Housing Contribution

Former Member, modifié il y a 14 années.

Affordable Housing Contribution

Hi we've received an affordable housing contribution sum in lieu of providing on-site which we would normally insist on. Housing colleagues are asking can the money be used on existing Council stock - obviously refurbishment. The Agreement is not very specific and states 'means the sum of Index Linked being a contribution towards the provision of off-site Affordable Housing' I'm thinking it wouldn't be appropriate to use it on existing Council housing stock....difficult to show relationship to the development and since the houses are already there it wouln't be new provision (although it may increase capacity of existing stock). Although on the other hand we do use, for example, open space contributions to upgrade 'existing stock' Anyone any experience/thoughts on this? Thanks, Gerard

Re: Affordable Housing Contribution

I think you would need to go back to your original policy that the planning decision and therefore the obligation were based on to determine whether or not it can be used only for new stock or upgrade. I suspect that the policy will be worded to provide additional units and therefore this is the basis of the decision. If you were to vere from this it would be a material change to the decision and I would suggest that you should get a legal opinion, the agreement of the developer to a variation and endorsement of the Committee.

Re: Affordable Housing Contribution

Thanks for the response Gilian. Yes we've agreed that the nature of the contribution and the policies in the SPD mean additional units. Therefore Housing are investigating other ways of spensing the contribution of which there are many.