Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Ouvert | En cours - juillet 2012 | Dernière modification - May

Amendment to Section 106 Agreement

Former Member, modifié il y a 11 années.

Amendment to Section 106 Agreement

The Town and Country planning Act 1990 makes it clear in Section 106 A(3)). that the signatories of a section 106 agreement cannot seek to vary of amend the agreement for a period of five years I have a case where housing development has been approved last year with a section 106 agreement that protects the approved area of opens space. A new development is now being proposed which seeks to gain access from this development by the construction of a new a road within this area of open space with the provision of compensatory opens space. My question is as this is a new application can it be approved even though it would contradict and amend the original section 106 agreement within the five year period.
Former Member, modifié il y a 11 années.

Re: Amendment to Section 106 Agreement

It appears to me that any new Planning permission affecting the land in an original S106 over the same land (or part of it) would override it. The legal position would seem to be concurrent permissions, either (but not both) of which could be implemented. It dies not appear that the 5 year rule prevents variations to S106 agreements until 5 years has passed. S106A(1) provides that a S106 Agreement can be varied by agreement between the parties; there does not appear to be any restriction upon when or how if the Authority and the applicant are agreeable to modifying the S106 The 5 year rule applies to a situation where the Local Authority is not agreeable or does not consider it appropriate to vary the original S106 agreement. After 5 years the applicant has the right to apply to the authority for the modification or discharge of the S106 agreement and would be able to appeal it if the authority is not willing to do so.