Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Ouvert | En cours - juillet 2012 | Dernière modification - Hier

Role of Magistrates in delivering effective enforcement

Former Member, modifié il y a 17 années.

Role of Magistrates in delivering effective enforcement

I am just about to embark on a dissertation looking into the role of Magistrates and the decisions they make with regard to imposing penalties against offences under the planning acts. My aim is to prove that decisions and sentencing guidelines are ultimately lenient and that Magistrates are in need of training. Is anyone aware of any instances of such Magistrate training that I could follow up? Many thanks.

Worksop Magistrates

Hi Andy, Your note struck a nerve. Below is a recent case whereby we were seriously let down by the magistrates locally. (Please also see the attachment) Re: R-v- KAZEMI (Trading as The Pizza House, 16 Kilton Hill, Worksop) As a retired Police Sergeant having served 24 years of front line policing I have to express my disgust at the lack of support for Bassetlaw District Council by the Worksop Magistrates in the above case. This matter was based on the fact that Mr. KAZEMI has a licence to open his pizza parlour between the hours of 9am and 1130pm daily. He has been seen to remain open until 1.30am regularly. This has involved observations being kept into the early hours by your enforcement officer, Terry Wells. The BDC has gone to great expense to bring this matter before the courts. At the first scheduled hearing on Thurs 18 January 2007 Mr KAZEMI failed to turn up at court. The matter was therefore adjourned to Thursday 1 February 2007. Despite facing a potential fine of up to £5000 for each of 14 offences he faced, he walked from the court with a fine of £10.00 on each count plus £250.00 costs. Mr KAZEMI was delighted.

Role of Magistrates

Hi Adam I am the Sec. of Federation of South West Enforcement Officers. Back in 2000 three of our members put together a document 'Courts and the Planning System' which won an RTPI achievement award in 2001. This document was circulated to local Magistrates and our Officers undertook training of Magistrates. We have identified the need for the document to be updated but this has not been done as yet. I know that CLG have the subject as an objective as does PAS. I suggest you contact the authors of the report direct: Dave Collings at dcollings@eastdevon.gov.uk - 01395 517476 and Roger Wotton at roger.wotton@southsomerset.gov.uk - 01935 462568. They will be able to assist you further and provide you with a copy of the document. Ray Steer-Kemp rsteer-kemp@eastdevon.gov.uk 01395-517477