Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Ouvert | En cours - juillet 2012 | Dernière modification - Aujourd'hui

Social Media and Decisions on planning applications

Former Member, modifié il y a 10 années.

Social Media and Decisions on planning applications

Social Media, Facebook, Twitter, snap chat, watsap are now a way of life for most of us.

However, what is its role in planning and esp. in the decision making process on planning applications and decision making?

As a Council we have fb and twitter feeds and use these to promote planning, clarify misconceptions and publish planning committees and decisions of the committee.

Over the last year or so I have seen and increasing use of these to garner objections to planning applications and in one recent case it was successful in generation over 1,400 to a single application, truly community involvement. However, many of the posts became personal, named officers and made unfounded allegations about the planning process.

As a result of this we are reviewing how we should respond to false and malicious allegations and I was wondering is anyone else had a 'policy' or view on this matter as I have little doubt the trend will grow.

Chris Dowell, modifié il y a 9 années.

RE: Social Media and Decisions on planning applications

New Member Publications: 8 Date d'inscription: 19/10/11 Publications Récentes

We have been thinking about doing the same thing and have been tweeting committees for a short while. I hope in the end we might be able to phase out the neighbour notification letters but that is some way off.

We do have a concern that we might miss objections on social media and would then be subject to a complaint and it is this that is holding us back at the moment. I am also concerned about the abuse that we might recieve.

But from early next year we should be tweeting links to all the major applciations and I hope that will increase the "foot fall" on the site and direct anyone who is interested to look at the applciation details.