Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Ouvert | En cours - juillet 2012 | Dernière modification - May

Renewable Energy Action Area - can this be 'enshrined' in an LDF?

Former Member, modifié il y a 13 années.

Renewable Energy Action Area - can this be 'enshrined' in an LDF?

Hi We're working with a local authority looking at ways to increase renewable energy installations in their District. One idea we have worked up is to establish something we are calling a Renewable Energy Action Area. The aim would be to carry out an in-depth consultation in a defined area within that Borough (in this case it happens to be an ex-mining area). We would work with local interest groups and carry out a series of focus groups with individual groups, eventually bringing them together to a larger forum, and culminating in an area-wide postal/e-questionnaire (the sort that would be carried out for making a Parish Plan). This would find out what they would welcome or fear about the idea, help to dispel some of the significant myths about renewable energy etc. What we hope to achieve is a groundswell of support for the establishment of renewable energy projects in the area, as well as identification of the area as a place for investment in renewable energy education (through engagement with, and support for the local FE Colleges), as well as targeted support for renewable energy businesses to expand or set up in the area. What are your views on how such an approach could be 'enshrined' in an LDF? Could there be an Area Action Plan outlining how renewable energy will be promoted in the area? Could there be an SDF (presumably linked to a resource study), presuming in favour of certain installations? Could large scale wind sites or hydro sites be identified in Site Allocation Plans? We are working with the LA to try to come up with ways that this process will result in something more concrete than just a vague local aspiration to generate more renewable energy. Any thoughts, especially criticism and picking holes in this scheme, would be very welcome. Many thanks Rachel Coxcoon Senior Project Manager Centre for Sustainable Energy www.cse.org.uk

Re: Renewable Energy Action Area - can this be 'enshrined' in an LDF?

Sounds interesting- maybe a broad indication of the area in the Core Strategy and reference to the area in Core Strategy policy text followed up by a Site Allocation with specific policy or seperate AAP would be more concrete, but would an AAP focused just on energy be too narrow? If it was part of a wider regeneration initiative I imagine this would work better? I suppose the issue of identifying site allocations for proposals would need to account for the (albeit changing) national policy picture, which at the moment I understand doesn't necessarily seem to recommend such allocations unless there is a developer interest in a firm scheme? A DPD policy/SPD combined with Local Development Order might work and could still provide a more concrete approach, but I've not had any experience with LDO processes. Be interested to see how this develops. The new Government ideas for the planning system could change alot of these things though I suppose e.g. the structure/style of LDFs. You're probably aware of these examples already- not sure how they were addressed in the LDFs http://www.lep.org.uk/projects/energy-action-zero-carbon.htm

Re: Renewable Energy Action Area - can this be 'enshrined' in an LDF?

http://www.pas.gov.uk/pas/core/page.do?pageId=114302 Talks about LDO in London re energy