Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Ouvert | En cours - juillet 2012 | Dernière modification - May

Legal Conformity and Soundness post NPPF

Former Member, modifié il y a 11 années.

Legal Conformity and Soundness post NPPF

We would like to put together a plain english fact sheet for members of the public and stakeholders on how to answer the questions on legal conformity and soundness during a submission Local Plan consultation. Can anyone point me in the direction of one that has already been produced? I have looked on the PAS website and can't find anything. On another issue, my interpretation is that the tests for legal conformity remain unchanged post NPPF as regional plans are still in place - is this correct? Many Thanks.

Re: Legal Conformity and Soundness post NPPF

Ann-Marie, this is what we used in Feb 2011 (i.e. Pre-NPPF), for what it is worth. http://ldfconsultation.westnorthamptonshirejpu.org/gf2.ti/f/242146/5278021.1/PDF/-/04%20Representation%20Form%20and%20Guidance%20Notes.pdf
thumbnail
Jo Witherden, modifié il y a 11 années.

Enthusiast Publications: 33 Date d'inscription: 21/10/11 Publications Récentes
We are just finishing the pre-submission consultation on our local plan and had to amend our response form part-way through due to the complaints we were receiving. A lot of people felt that asking about soundness and legal conformity was simply the council's attempt to put people off commenting! I've attached the revised form which includes how we explained it and also includes a 'don't know' option for those questions. As far as I can see from the regs there's no requirement to ask the questions - its simply an aid to the examination.

The key problem is that most forms are hopelessly designed. It's the job that you give to the new starter to do, once they have made coffees for all the staff. Have you ever completed one of those SurveyMonkey polls? Some twerp spends two hours knocking up a survey and then emails 1000+ copies out. They probably have no way of properly analysing the data they receive back. So maybe 500 person hours of effort/life will be burned up essentially for nothing. The other side of the coin is that when you DO receive a well designed form or survey you then suspect that it has been expertly crafted so that you can't ask various key questions. Free format methods allow you to express your opinions EXACTLY the way you intend. More subtly, the actual process of submitting a form makes you a supplicant ... you have implicitly agreed on Day One that the form creator has the right to control the way you approach an issue. By sidestepping the standardised form process the submitter is maintaining their independence and freedom of action. How many CEOs or other senior managers of major firms do you think ever fill out a job application form? Well, I have recruited many staff in the past, junior & senior. Only the junior staff ever had application forms ....

Many thanks for all your helpful comments. Ann-Marie