Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Ouvert | En cours - juillet 2012 | Dernière modification - May

Compliance with SEA Directive, Article 9

Former Member, modifié il y a 11 années.

Compliance with SEA Directive, Article 9

Can anyone point to an example of a "simple" statement that has been published alongside their adopted plan to meet the requirements of the SEA directive for : 1. A statement summarising how environmental considerations have been integrated... and how the environmental report , opinions and results of consultations have been taken into account .... and the reasons for choosing the plan or programme as adopted, in the light of other reasonable alternatives. 2. Measures for monitoring significant environmental effects. I want to make ours simpler before publication but without risking omitting any required info.
Gerard Woods, modifié il y a 11 années.

Re: Compliance with SEA Directive, Article 9

New Member Publications: 23 Date d'inscription: 20/10/11 Publications Récentes
Looking at examples that are about, the West Berkshire Core Strategy statement is quite simple and clear, at 4 pages. I have also seen examples from Doncaster (Core Strategy), Wiltshire (CS), the Joint Waste Development Plan Document (DPD) for the East London Waste Authority Boroughs and Wyre Forest Core Strategy. They vary from around 5 to 13 pages. I note that you refer to the SEA directive, Article 9. It may be helpful to explain in your statement that it is required by Regulation 16(4) of the Assessment of Plans and Programmes Regulations 2004. this breaks down those 2 points into several different points. I know the Plan Making Manual had a section about this statement, but it does not explain what Regulations require it. The need for this statement is not immediately obvious if an authority were just following the Local Planning Regulations 2012 and their predecessors, assuming that they incorpate all the SEA requirements. It would have been useful if the plan making regs or the accompanying notes had made a reference to the Environmental Assessment of Plans and Programmes Regulations 2004.

Thanks - will take a look at those.

Have a look at the adoption statement we produced at Norfolk CC on adoption of our Core Strategy (link below). We were mindful that objectors would probably be scrutinising every element of the adoption process closely, so we took particular care to ensure that we had demonstrated how the requirements of the SEA Directive had been met. The Forest Heath Core Strategy and Greater Norwich Development Partnership Joint Core Strategy judgements were very useful reminders as to what specifically should be included in the adoption statement. http://www.norfolk.gov.uk/view/NCC094958

Many thanks - unfortunately the link doesn't seem to work?

Vicky, OK, go to http://www.norfolk.gov.uk/Environment/Planning/Mineral_and_waste_planning/Minerals_and_waste_development_framework/Core_Strategy_Examination_and_adoption/index.htm and try to download it from there. Let me know if there is still a problem. Thanks, Adam

Thanks for the various suggestions - anyone else also tackling this might be interested in the guidance available on the attached link. http://levett-therivel.co.uk/SEAstatement.pdf