Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Ouvert | En cours - juillet 2012 | Dernière modification - May

Taking the expert system forward

Former Member, modifié il y a 17 années.

Taking the expert system forward

The expert system offers a series of scripts to assist in answering PD requirements. At present their are a limited number of authorities who have implemented the system. What do you think the Planning Advisory Service could do to assist you making the case for implementing the expert system at your authority?
Former Member, modifié il y a 15 années.

Re: Taking the expert system forward

One thing I proposed sometime ago but was rejected then was that rather than seperate LPAs each developing and installing thier own expert systems on thier own websites, that the PAS take this forwward and have a version which we can all link to. Appreciate that this may not be able to be GIS enabled to allow the searching of conservation areas and so on, but would be a good start, especially for those authorities who currently have nothing. It would be an extension of the current interactive house, which most people find very useful.

Hi John, Neil, Without either local GIS data or even data containing x,y how do you envisage the interactive house being further developed (pardon the pun). I ask because one of the main things an enquiry system would require is for property with GPDO rights removed. At a VERY high level: - It might work if there was a standard for a connector, as with the Planning Portal applications. Back office suppliers could then be encouraged to build a connector that enables data to be passed to the Planning Portal with regards to local constraints. This would suit GDPO constraints where conditions restricting development are entered into the back office system for each application and uploaded and displayed on the interactive house based on NLPG. Regards, Andy.

I was suggesting developing a question and answer format to PD, as an expert script works. It will contain the same information as in the interactive house, but put it in a series of targetted questions to developers. This could provide people with an indicative 'decision' with the condition that it would not apply to properties in conservation area, art. 4, etc and that the developer should check with the LPA for confirmation of this, or a link to the appropriate LPA website. Some of these questions could be built in to the script. By the way, one of the major floors I find with the interactive house, is that it does not mention that PD rights do not apply to flats! People may view the guide and not appreciate that it is a house for a particular reason, assuming that it is a generic 'dwelling'.

Ha! 'floor' - nice. I think your ideas are great. Don't hold your breath, but you might see something you like over the next day or two. I'd also recommend you join our Community of Practice to put forward your questions for some FAQ. Your thinking seems to be slightly advanced of mine. The idea that an "expert system" should be hedged around with some "basic information" is fantastic. Rich

I agree with where you are coming regarding this but one thing we should perhaps keep in mind is that the expert enquiry system schema enables LPA's to link into either a CRM or planning back office system to provide a reference that can be audited. This would stop the scenario where a user claims that they used our expert system to gain advice and build, for example, an extension that was in breach of planning legislation. The questions would be recorded with IP addreses, dates and answers to questions being recorded. With this in mine, my earlier post would proberbly not be sufficient. Andy.

All I had in mind was really a first step, especially for those LPA's who don't currently offer any e-enabled PD query resolution system. I think giving the interactive house a Q&A script format would make it additionally useful. I wouldn't suggest that the output from this be used as a system to obtain 'approval' for building works, and this should be made clear, but it can be a useful starting point for some people. The ideal scenario is as you suggest - linked to GIS and back-office system, however I fear this is a long way down the line for many LPA's.

Neil - I can't tell whether you would have received our mail-out yesterday. There is now a link to a demonstration version of the expert system available from our 'expert system' page, as well as a community of practice around the interpretation of the new regs. regards, Richard