Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Ouvert | En cours - juillet 2012 | Dernière modification - May

Insisting on native species in planting/ landscaping schemes

Former Member, modifié il y a 14 années.

Insisting on native species in planting/ landscaping schemes

Is it unreasonable to insist that domestic landscaping (within garden space predominantly) is formed from native species only, particularly when there are sizeable and important biodiversity reserves in the vicinty?

Re: Insisting on native species in planting/ landscaping schemes

I'm not sure about unreasonable but the first thought I had is how would/could you enforce such an insistance? Ian

Totally unreasonable and as Ian has said completely unenforceable. My feeling has always been that whilst a scheme of landscaping for a domestic garden can control boundary features and specimin trees, to seek to control the individual plants in the flowerbeds is taking it too far!

Matthew ... have just had a thought! You could possibly frame a negatively worded condition to prevent a particulary invasive species such as ponticum being planted? That would be more reasonable and easier to enforce. Mike
Former Member, modifié il y a 13 années.

Many thanks guys. I should clarify that I am not thinking about proposing any intervention like this for any development in particular, I have a member of the public who thinks the planning system has more control and power over human activity than is true in reality. I am framing an argument that such action is unreasonable and the grounds suggested are what I had in mind too. So thank you for confirming my suspicions. Michael - I think your last point is very interesting and might have worked, particularly as the site my complainant has in mind is next to a SSSI. That might be our only degree of influence - but it might be a workable compromise.