Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Ouvert | En cours - juillet 2012 | Dernière modification - May

Brownfield land and private residential gardens

Former Member, modifié il y a 13 années.

Brownfield land and private residential gardens

Following the removal of private residential gardens from the definition of brownfield land in PPS 3, I wondered what may occur in a potential situation of a demolition of a dwelling and the redevelopment of that site for a greater number of dwellings - would the whole site be classed as brownfield, or just the portion where the previous dwelling previously stood?

Re: Brownfield land and private residential gardens

There are a number of other situations I would also like to hear members' view on: 1) Does this only apply to C3 use class or does "residential garden land" include sites currently in all C classes and Sui Generis residential uses such as hostels? 2) Does this apply to the conversion of ancillary garden buildings into new dwellings and ancillary annexes (which meet the monitorign criteria of a new dwelling), and the conversion of annexes into independent dwellings? My understanding was that this change to PPS3 to to steer housing development away from "green" residential gardens to prevent "garden-grabbing" but we need to be clear if we are protecting plot sizes, residential density or reducing built form footprints.

Re: Brownfield land and private residential gardens

If the surface of a plot was once occupied by a school building, the building demolished and the area flagged over, and could not be regared as "having blended into the landscape in the process of time" neither does it appear to be part of the "natural surroundings", then would it remain brownfield under PPS3 definition.