Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Ouvert | En cours - juillet 2012 | Dernière modification - May

Expiry of Mineral Permisison

Former Member, modifié il y a 13 années.

Expiry of Mineral Permisison

All mineral extraction application are subject to a temporary consent through the use of a condition along the lines that, all development mineral extraction shall cease by a specify date and the land shall be restored by a specific date. My question is what happens if these conditions have no been complied with doe this mean that the permission has expired or that there is still an extant permission and that no further extraction works can be carried out If the permission expires and the operator walks away from the site. How would the council enforce the restoration as if there is no consent there is no breach of a condition However if the permission is extant the operator could seek to resolve the issues by a variation of condition or the council could serve a breach of condition notice I would be grateful for any views on this
Former Member, modifié il y a 11 années.

Re: Expiry of Mineral Permisison

Martin I realise that you posted some time ago. Did you find a resolution? Once the permission has expired, can they then go down the Section 73 route to vary the time limit? Or do they need a new consent? I would be grateul to hear thoughts on this. thanks Shirley
Former Member, modifié il y a 11 années.

Re: Expiry of Mineral Permisison

Shirley/Martin We've had an Inquiry recently so discussed this with our barrister who confirmed that at least in his view (with which neither of the other 2 barristers or our solicitor disagreed) restoration conditions do not expire. Essentially we agreed that the intention of the condition is to ensure that restoration has to be undertaken by XX date (i.e. restoration shall be completed before xx) - and if it is not, we can make them do it. The barrister's argument is that if the intention of these conditions was the latter, they would be worded along the lines of 'restoration shall not be undertaken after xxx date'. He doubts that an Inspector would find in the operator's favour if this was ever tested. The conclusion is that MPAs can make them restore the site, even if the permission required restoration to be completed by a date in the past. We can require restoration to be undertaken pursuant to the planning permission, and specify a time limit. Hope that helps.