Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Ouvert | En cours - juillet 2012 | Dernière modification - Aujourd'hui

Change of use to flatted accommodation

Former Member, modifié il y a 13 années.

Change of use to flatted accommodation

Here's a question! I have a client who wishes to know whether the principle of changing the use of a redundant city centre office building (which is also listed) into an unspecified number of flats will be acceptable. I am of the view that an outline application would not be appropriate, but can a full application be made solely on the basis of the change of use, i.e. without the submission of any detailed drawings?? Any external physical alterations could be controlled by conditions, and the internal ones through a subsequent application for listed building consent. I'm sure I should know the answer but it's eluding me! If the answer is yes ... what would the fee be?

Re: Change of use to flatted accommodation

A change of use application without any details would be, in effect, an outline application, and that can't be done just for a change of use. You mention that the building is listed, in which case I would be very surprised if the relevant council would accept anything less than full details of a proposed layout. It's also the case that even an outline application for new buildings these days has, at the very least, to specify the maximum amount of the development and indicative layout and minimum /maximum dimensions of buildings. Imagining a loosening of the regs for a moment, and transposing this to your change of use scenario, you would still need a maximum no. of flats to be stated, together with an indicative layout and minimum/maximum flat/room sizes. Either way, I don't see a drawing-free solution. Personally, I'd like to see the outline regs being loosened again - for some sites a red line should be good enough to establish a principle - and I don't see why changes of use should be excluded from the concept of the outline permission.

Re: Change of use to flatted accommodation

Mmmm ... that's what I thought. All I'm after is an agreement to the principal sufficient for my client to then raise the capital to follow up with a detailed proposal. It's a Catch 22 so far as I can see. Mike