Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Ouvert | En cours - juillet 2012 | Dernière modification - May

CIL and Live/Work units

Former Member, modifié il y a 9 années.

CIL and Live/Work units

Can I ask if anyone has dealt with live/work units and if so, how have you treated them for CIL purposes, particularly where the 'live' element is at a different CIL rate than the 'work' element.

Many thanks

Paul

RE: CIL and Live/Work units

I am not sure what a true live work unit looks like......in reality are they a house with  a study, rather than a flat/house with a proper workshop.?

I have had an application for a barn conversion for residential with large home office/meeting room which the applicants originally did not include in the CIL calculations.  We charge for residential, but not for B uses such as offices. My view was that unless the office/meeting room was a separate unit, so that it could be independently occupied,   it was all effectively residential floorspace, similar to a study in a dwelling that one occupier might use as a study and another as a family room.  The applicants have not challenged this (yet).

Alison

RE: CIL and Live/Work units

Thanks Alison, that was my view on the two applications we've had so far which were for units that were fully integrated in one building.  I think that if that was challenged we'd get the 'work' area Conditioned to ensure that it remained separate and was treated appropiately for Council Tax/NNDR.