Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - April

Neighbourhood Plan Referendum Costs

David English, modified 9 Years ago.

Neighbourhood Plan Referendum Costs

New Member Posts: 10 Join Date: 20/10/11 Recent Posts

We're setting budgets for next year and wondered whether anyone has any 'ball park' costs for holding a referendum on a neighbourhood plan, or whether anyone can tell me the actual costs of the referendums that have been held including the size of electorate?  Appreciate this will vary according to size of neighbourhood area, but any info would be helpful.  The first referendum we expect to hold will be in a rural parish with an electorate of approximately 1800 where there are four polling stations normally used in elections.  Our elections officer has suggested it would cost about £8,000! Any advice?

Cheers

David.

Former Member, modified 9 Years ago.

RE: Neighbourhood Plan Referendum Costs

HI David,  I am not aware of any current info on the costs of running a referendum having been published - although I am sure that people will be able to tell you about their individual experiences.  But dont forget when you are doing your budget that DCLG do provide funds to support councils in doing their NP jobs, including running the referendum  The current allowance for the third payment which is to cover costs of the examination and referendum is £20,000.  See the details in the PAS pages on Neighbourhood planning http://www.pas.gov.uk/web/pas1/funding-and-resources

Former Member, modified 9 Years ago.

RE: Neighbourhood Plan Referendum Costs

Hi David

We haven't yet had a referendum but I've had an estimate from our Electoral Services team. For a parish with an electorate of 8,433, the approximate cost is £14,620. If you want a breakdown, let me know I can email it to you. This parish has 6 polling districts and 1,338 postal voters.

Rebecca Bird

Rebecca.bird@wokingham.gov.uk