Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Yesterday

Which is my principal elevation?

Former Member, modified 9 Years ago.

Which is my principal elevation?

Hi,

I'm looking to put up a greenhouse, and would just like a sanity check on my principal elevation to be sure it will be a "permitted development". I live  in a converted barn (on a farm which isn't mine!) that is set back significantly from the road (see attached diagram). My assumption is that the prinicpal elevation is the one facing the road (ie. the red line looking down on the diagram), not the one where I have what I would call my 'front door' with my letter box in it (which is nearest the private drive). Grateful for views from anyone with experience of this.

Many thanks,

RE: Which is my principal elevation?

Guidance is given the DCLG "Permitted Development for Householders: Technical Guidance, April 2014" which is available via the Planning Portal. It however will not provide definative guidance for a case such as this! You therefore need to agree the issue with your LPA.  

Thanks for the reply Tony,

Frustratingly my LPA have said that they won't give me an answer. They wil only consider a pre-planning application (with fee!) , which seems like massive overkill, when I don't even know what greenhouse I want. I was hoping someone would have relevant experience ( or be a planning officer!)...

Nigel Hancock, modified 9 Years ago.

New Member Posts: 14 Join Date: 19/10/11 Recent Posts

Unfortunately its not always as simple as that.  This is the wording fromt the technical guidance

In most cases, the principal elevation will be that part of the house which fronts (directly or at an angle) the main highway serving the house (the main highway will be the one that sets the postcode for the house concerned). It will usually contain the main architectural features such as main bay windows or a porch serving the main
entrance to the house. Usually, but not exclusively, the principal elevation will be what is understood to be the front of the house.

There will only be one principal elevation on a house. Where there are two elevations which may have the character of a principal elevation (for example, on a corner plot), a view will need to be taken as to which of these forms the principal elevation. Note, however, that in such cases the second elevation will also be subject to the restrictions under Class A if it is a side elevation and fronts a highway.

In your case, I  am guessing that the main architectural features do not face the road (not all properties face the road) and without seeing the elevations of the house itself it is difficult to form an opinion.  But just try to apply some common sense.  Does the elevation that faces the road look like the back of the house?  Does the elevation that faces away from the road look like the front of the house?  What would most people say if asked?  Planning Officers arent trained to define a 'Principal Elevation', that was something invented by the Government when it introduced all this new permitted development, its generally a matter of judgement.  The fact that the door is on the back doesnt in itself make that the principal elevation.  If you want some more speficic advice I would suggest attaching some photos of the house here and see what kind of response you get. 

Even if you got a response from your local council it is only likely to be officer advice and not binding on any future decision. The only way to get a definitive answer would be to submit a Lawful Development Certificate, but then why use a nutcracker when a sledgehammer is available :-) 

Hope this helps

thumbnail
Richard Crawley, modified 9 Years ago.

Expert Posts: 254 Join Date: 07/12/11 Recent Posts

Yes, it's easy to understand why most "normal" people really struggle with planning when it is such a ridiculous rigmarole. It's a bit like that story when someone wakes up to find he has tuned into a cockroach. Or something. 

Anyway, I'd say you have two choices:

- you get a definitive answer that puts your mind at rest. This will require some sort of official decision from your council, and Tony is right to suggest a certificate. This will cost you some money and possibly professional advice. There are several good agents in this forum. 

- you live with uncertainty. It may be that this work is *not* PD, and at some point your council might serve you a notice that will require you to remedy the breach. Paradoxically in order to serve this notice the council will have to tell you whether or not this elevation is principal or not. For free. And then, you can regularise the situation by submitting a planning application. Not certificate. 

You can make your choice. If planning permission is risky in some way then you shouldn't chance it. You might end up having to demolish something that could have been permitted if you knew which aspects might cause trouble. And, I suppose, you might want to think about your relationships with your neighbours.

If it helps, I think that the intention of the regs is pretty straightforward. If most people were to agree that they were looking at the front of the house then it is a principal elevation. Don't overthink it.  

HTH

Rich