Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Yesterday

National Waste Management Plan Targets - Planning for waste capacity

Former Member, modified 9 Years ago.

National Waste Management Plan Targets - Planning for waste capacity

Hi,

I'm putting together a waste evidence base paper and in particular would welcome any guidance on a query that I've come across. In the National Waste Strategy (2007) it requires that the recovery of municipal waste reaches 67% by 2015 and 75% by 2020 - this was alongside the recycling and composting of household waste targets of 45% by 2015 and 50% by 2020. If I'm right in thinking that the National Waste Management Plan has superseded the 2007 strategy, does anybody know why the recycling target remains but I can't find any mention of the 75% recovery of municipal waste  target by 2020?

Any thoughts / advice would be most welcome as it obviously has an impact on the future capacity required.

Thanks in advance - Paul

RE: National Waste Management Plan Targets - Planning for waste capacity

Paul

You are right that the Waste Management Plan for England December 2013, has replaced the Waste Strategy for England 2007, although it seems that the Government Review of Waste Policy in England 2011 is still extant.  The recovery targets that were in the 2007 Strategy seem to have disappeared, leaving us with just the targets to recycle 50% of household waste and recover 70% of C&D waste by 2020, both of which are from the EU Waste Framework Directive 2008 and are targets for England as a whole.  What we also still have are the 2013 and 2020 targets for diversion of waste from landfill  in the EU Landfill Directive 1999, as set out in Table 8.4 in the 2007 Waste Strategy, which also apply to England as a whole.  Quite how you use these to come up with a recovery target for a discrete area I am not sure.  We are taking a different approach in our emerging plan (for Oxfordshire) by having an objective of minimum waste to landfill and then setting what would seem to be maximum practical targets for recycling and recovery in order to achieve that.

Peter Day

RE: National Waste Management Plan Targets - Planning for waste capacity

Thanks very much for the response Peter, at least I can rest easy knowing that the 75% target isn't mysteriously hiding somewhere else!

Paul