Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Yesterday

Energy standards and housing standards

Former Member, modified 9 Years ago.

Energy standards and housing standards

Following Mr Pickles Ministerial Statement of the 25th of March and the Deregulation Act receiving Royal Ascent on the 26th I am not entirely clear on how LPAs will be operating in regard to energy and housing standards.

It appears that restrictions on securing energy standards / Code for Sustainable Homes will not kick in until late 2016. Is it therefore business as usual until then, whilst having regard to the Ministerial Statement and weighting this against any adopted policies and guidance?

Mimimum unit / room sizes have now been finalised by Government. I seem to recall however that LPAs would only be allowed to formally apply these if they have a local plan policiy which requires this? Obviously all LPAs will have regard to what Government has confirmed are in their view bare minimum sizes.

Also I am not sure where this leaves LPAs with policies which require compliance with Lifetime Homes Standards?

It feel like there is a bit of confusion as to which items are effectively a statement of intent in the Minimsterial Statement (i.e. formal changes to follow), and what has actually come into force through Statutory Instruments. Any clarfiication would be welcome!

Former Member, modified 9 Years ago.

RE: Energy standards and housing standards

I'm not sure what status advice from the Planning Portal has, but they have published some pretty definitive guidance in regard to these matters today. I would be interested to know whether other LPAs are following the line suggested here:

https://portaldirector.wordpress.com/2015/04/09/new-housing-standard-requirements-kick-in/

New housing standard requirements for new dwellings have come into force as part of the Government’s drive to simplify and streamline the regulations facing house builders.

Following the administration’s Housing Standards Review, the only technical standards that will continue to be applied through planning permissions locally will be on the five key themes – energy, water, access, space and security. All other standards will no longer be able to be imposed.

For instance, a broad requirement to meet a particular ‘Code for Sustainable Homes’ level will no longer apply.

A plan policy which specifically requires building to lifetime homes standards, which is under the ‘access’ theme, would continue to apply but delivery of a home to this standard as an indirect effect of achieving points for a Code for Sustainable Homes level, would no longer apply.

The Department for Communities and Local Government has said that for the first six months (i.e. up to 1 October when new Building Standards kick-in) for water, space, security and access the ‘old’ existing standards could continue to be applied based on existing plans, rather than the optional new requirement or national space standard.

From 2016 all homes will be zero carbon, through a mixture of raised building standards and ‘allowable solutions’ such as offsite energy sources and contributions to clean  nergy schemes.

However, sites of fewer than 10 homes will be exempt from the allowable solutions requirements, with safeguards against abuses; and an impact assessment on allowable solutions.