Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Today

Self Build Relief for replacement dwelling

Dean Brunton, modified 9 Years ago.

Self Build Relief for replacement dwelling

Enthusiast Posts: 44 Join Date: 10/10/13 Recent Posts

Hi,

I have an application for the "Demolition of existing detached semi bungalow and replacement with a two storey detached dwelling and separate Garage/Carport."  The total build is 244sqm with the total demolition being 179sqm giving an additional floor space of  65sqm. 

They have submitted an application for Self Build relief under Reg 54 A, however Reg 54B refers to a new dwellings rather than a replacement dwellings so I'm not sure if they are eligible for relief or not? 

Presumably they are not eligible for the residential annexe/extension relief as the new build will not be an annexe or an extension.

Any guidance/assistance would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Former Member, modified 9 Years ago.

RE: Self Build Relief for replacement dwelling

I am sure that it is not the intention to preclude replacement dwellings from self-build exemption.
Dean Brunton, modified 9 Years ago.

Enthusiast Posts: 44 Join Date: 10/10/13 Recent Posts
I presume so too but just trying to figure out whether or not the Regs state this (or indeed need to!) :-)
Former Member, modified 9 Years ago.

Hi, our view at Winchester is that this would be a new dwelling (though quite how one would build an 'old' dwelling is hard to imagine).  We've had a few of these and always treat them as self build eligible, providing the other criteria are met.

Hope this helps