Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Today

Small Extensions

Daniel Hudson, modified 9 Years ago.

Small Extensions

Advocate Posts: 121 Join Date: 25/04/12 Recent Posts

We are shortly going to introduce a CIL and are putting web guidance in place.

One issue is whether we require extensions of below 100 sq m to submit additional CIL information with applications. To my mind the only reason for so doing would be to provide clarity in borderline cases where a liability may be triggered in the event of an under-declaration.  From the applicants perspective (unless it is a borderline case) the consequence of not submitting floorspace, liability and commencement information is a CIL liability of £0.

What do others do?

Former Member, modified 9 Years ago.

RE: Small Extensions

Hi Daniel.  Here at BFC (CIL Charging since 6th April) we are following, to the letter, the statement on the Government's CIL Planning Application Additional Information Requirement form, which says right at the top/beginning ".. all applicants for full planning permission.................are required to provided the following information".  So if they are an applicant, (& regardless of whether it's minor development for CIL purposes). the form to be completed (Part 1, 2 & 8 information to be provided).
REBECCA STADDON, modified 9 Years ago.

Advocate Posts: 103 Join Date: 05/09/13 Recent Posts

We do the exact opposite here at TDBC. We introduced CIL on 1 April 2014 and I, as the CIL Officer, assess each application received and decide whether or not to request the CIL forms. If I assess an extension as anywhere near 90 square metres I will ask for the forms to be submitted for clarity. Hope this helps.

We take the pragmatic, customer friendly approach. If we can properly determine the CIL payable from other details with the application, we would not demand the completion of the form just for the sake of it. We certainly don't require the form in cases where is is obvious that no CIL would be payable e.g. for a type of devcelopment that is zero rated on our charging schedule.

Seems.  Got the resources? then it's "horses for courses".  No dedicated CIL Officer here, that might make a difference to the amount of time you cane devote to assessing App details with the 100sqm test.  Another thing that might make a difference & I should have mentioned in my 1st response, completion of the Government's CIL Additional Information Requirement form, is a local BFC validation requirement, so less room for flexible pragmatism & by-passing what the form says, otherwise App. not registered @ BFC.

Daniel Hudson, modified 9 Years ago.

Advocate Posts: 121 Join Date: 25/04/12 Recent Posts

So does BFC require floorspace and liability forms to be filled in for all development irrespective of whether it is identified in the charging schedule? In addition to small extensions, this would seem to include;

Use Classes not identified in the Charging Schedule - in our case that would be everything apart from residential and retail;

Minor development - fences and enclosures, access to a classified road, satellite dishes and solar panels;

Development which does not create built floorspace - renewable energy, highway works and car parks, sports pitches, quarries, etc - which would nonetheless have to submit a zero figure and assume liability;

Irrespective of what the form says, isn't this a waste of everyone's time? and what are the consequences of not doing it?

We request the CIL Additional Info form, as a local validation requirement, for all applications that meet the trigger for CIL under Reg42 - ie over 100sqm of new build or a new dwelling. In cases that are borderline - eg 97sqm of new build - we request the same information. This provides a consistent approach to administering CIL for all non-minor developments.