Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Yesterday

The New Standard Needs Calculation

Jonathan Pheasant, modified 5 Years ago.

The New Standard Needs Calculation

Advocate Posts: 158 Join Date: 23/05/11 Recent Posts

I note that the new standard housing need calculation was published alongside the new NPPF as part of the as part of the PPG (Housing and Economic Development Needs Assessments Section)

I am struggling with the variations and the cap. Has anyone else got to grips with this?

We have an adopted strategic plan that is less than 5 years old. I have used the projections and the affordability ratio to calculate a need for us (Seps 1 and 2). 

Now I'm onto actually deciding which to use. I'm looking at STEP 3 Cap example 1 which is where an authority has an adopted local plan within 5 years old (that's us)

It says we should use the average annual housing requirement figure in existing plan policies (That's 647 a year for us)

The Minimum annual housing need figure as per step 2 (That's about 900 for us - cant remember exactly)

Then it says that if the local plan policy requirement plus a 40% cap is less than the calculated requirement in steps 1 and 2 you use that.

So that would be 647+40%. = 905 a year.

They are both about the same so our NEED is a MINIMUM of 905 a year - is that right?

If so where does the 40% come from (is it just a random number plucked by MHCLG?) If it is how can that be a robust assessment of housing need?

Also, The new Framework says to use the standard method unless there are exceptional circumstances. I'm guessing that when you  come to prepare a plan lots of people will say there are exceptional circumstances and the standard method will end up being the starting point for calculation need like the ONS was before.

Any help/advice or even thoughts on this welcomed

Thanks