Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Yesterday

Performance Statistics, Designation & PAS Crystal Ball(s) 2018

thumbnail
martin hutchings, modified 5 Years ago.

Performance Statistics, Designation & PAS Crystal Ball(s) 2018

Enthusiast Posts: 30 Join Date: 26/02/13 Recent Posts

Hello - this thread replaces 'Designation crystal ball 2017' - which is DEFINITELY STILL WORTH A READ - it has loads of great info and guidance, and is a useful history of how PAS and councils have been responding. It's got a bit unwieldy though so I'm beginning a new thread here for the current designation period. 

Latest performance statistics are out (20/09/2018)

The latest stats were published yesterday MHCLG. Only one more quarter to go, and that is almost over (to end of September).

PAS Support (1) - get ahead of the game - avoiding designation

PAS' job on Designation is to help councils with how to recognise, measure and most importantly how to avoid it (I wrote a blog last year on that very matter - it's still relevant just move the dates referred to on one year) 

Attached are the latest PAS 'Crystal Balls'; one for speed, one for quality. They let you measure performance in as close to real time as you care to feed them your most up to date performance data. I'd encourage ALL councils to use the crystal balls as part of their performance management framework – don't get caught out - poor performance often ‘creeps up’ and over a 2 year reporting period just a couple of poor quarters can really drag overall performance down leaving little time to recover.

PAS Support (2) - get ahead of the game - how best to respond if you're in danger
If you are a head of planning I will most likely have written to you earlier this year if I had concerns about your performance, offering a menu of support including FREE help to:

• re-check your PS1/2 data submissions (you'll not be surprised to learn that most I check have errors)
  • review DM process efficiency if you are failing on the Speed measure
  • review committee operation and decision making if you are failing on the Quality measure.

The 2 year reporting period means new councils can appear on my radar each time the government publishes the latest statistics - so keep an eye on your inbox in the next week. 

Quality of decisions assessment - warrants a special mention

The Quality measure is still fairly new and it has a number of confusing elements to how it functions and the  assessment period it uses (which is not the same as the speed measures). Lots of us are still not 100% clear on how it operates - you're not alone - have a look at a blog I did attempting to explain the quality measure here and how one council I was impressed with tries to stay ahead of things here.

Have a look at/use the Crystal Balls and let me know how you get on/what you think.