Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - This week

Renting out a static Caravan in the garden

Former Member, modified 8 Years ago.

Renting out a static Caravan in the garden

Hello

I have recently just bought my first property and it has a very large back garden and was looking to get a caravan and renting it out to my friend as she is in a very small one bed flat and would give her extra room and me help with the mortgage.

I know normally you don't need planning permision for caravans but im not sure if renting it out.

Also if any one knows as my friend only works part time she claims some housing benefits is this something taht she can still do 

RE: Renting out a static Caravan in the garden

This could be self contained or ancillery (have use of the main kitchen and bathrooms ect.

RE: Renting out a static Caravan in the garden

you or your friend are bringing a caravan big enough to site to replace a small flat (a static type?), charging rent and seem to envisage a new dwelling unit fairly independent of the main building.

There are other threads with good advise on caravan in gardens propostions please search for "caravan garden" but my interpretation of the best of these say is that your proposal would not be exempted by the caravan act nor  in planning ancillary to the main dwelling and allowable in planning terms,  renting the caravan out is a pretty clear indicator its essentially seperate.  Planning will become involved, council tax could take an interest at any point and tenants rights might be created.

In planning a great deal will turn on the caravans actual links to the main residence, substantial shared links and use will make the caravan ancillary accomodation (and allowable), with actual independence inidcating a new dwelling needing planning.  The possibility that most caravans have of entirely seperate use may arise in discussion but actual use would be the relevant point.

You have to link a lot to the main property, services, bills, use of the house,  a contrbution to overall house bills would be better than rent for the caravan.