Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - This week

CIL Commencement on site with 1 plot having self-build exemption

Helen Hotchkiss, modified 5 Years ago.

CIL Commencement on site with 1 plot having self-build exemption

New Member Posts: 10 Join Date: 26/06/13 Recent Posts

Planning permission was granted for 5 plots and a Liability Notice was issued to the applicant.  We subsequently received an Assumption of Liability form and a Self-Build Exemption Claim for one of the plots and granted the exemption.  The self-builder did not submit a Commencement Notice as he advised that he was not starting work for a number of months.   We have now been made aware that one of the other 4 plots on site is well under construction - the applicant (who is also land owner) has not assumed liability for the remaining plots and has not served a CIL Commencement Notice (NB - this is NOT a Phased Development in CIL terms).  I now need to issue a Demand Notice and would also be applying the surcharge for Failure to Assume Liability and Failure to Serve a Commencement Notice.  However, my query is now with the self-builder - as the 'development' has commenced and nobody has submitted a Comm Notice, has he also lost his exemption?  This seems harsh but I'm sure he has in terms of CIL unless anyone can tell me otherwise.