Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Yesterday

Conservative party conference

Helen Chadwick, modified 8 Years ago.

Conservative party conference

New Member Posts: 17 Join Date: 14/01/14 Recent Posts

Has anyone got a link to information about planning changes flagged at the Conservative party Conference?

Helen

Former Member, modified 8 Years ago.

RE: Conservative party conference

This helps

http://www.planningresource.co.uk/article/1367438/conservatives-2015-five-messages-minister-manchester

And this, fro Local Government Chronicle, although I haven't read anything about the detail of implementation yet

Cameron spells 'dramatic shift' in housing policy

In his speech at the Conservative party conference, the prime minister confirmed that the government had secured a deal with housing associations to extend the right-to-buy to 1.3 million more tenants and pledged that local authority control of schools would be a “thing of the past”.

Announcing a switch from “Generation Rent to Generation Buy”, Mr Cameron told Tories in Manchester that the government would a change to s106 planning rules. These currently let councils require developers to build affordable homes for rent. In future these affordable homes could be homes to buy.

“For years, politicians have been talking about building what they call “affordable homes” – but the phrase was deceptive,” he was reported as telling the conference.  “It basically meant homes that were only available to rent. So today, I can announce a dramatic shift in housing policy in our country.  “Those old rules which said to developers: you can build on this site, but only if you build affordable homes for rent, we’re replacing them with new rules [that say] you can build here, and those affordable homes can be available to buy.”

In response to the proposal, the British Property Federation urged the government to focus on delivery of all tenures. BPF chief executive Melanie Leech said Generation Rent was not something to be ashamed of as many countries had thriving rental markets. “While we are not against owner occupation, and see starter homes as a welcome initiative, we are aware that such a policy is stoking demand for home ownership, rather than focusing on meeting supply,” she said. “Build to rent has enormous potential to deliver additional homes to the UK, and government must not overlook this in blind pursuit of making us a nation of homeowners.”

Chartered Institute of Housing chief executive Terrie Alafat questioned what help would be available for people on lower incomes who cannot affordable to buy – even with a 20% discount.

She said: “More affordable housing to rent is critical if we are going to solve the housing crisis, but this policy could result in a significant reduction – according to the Joseph Rowntree Foundation, 37% of all affordable homes in England were completed through section 106 agreements in 2013-14.”

Mr Cameron also confirmed in his speech that communities secretary Greg Clark had reached a deal with housing associations over right-to-buy.

The policy is expected to be funded by the sale of empty high-value council homes.

Ms Alafat said: “We support the government’s ambition to give people the opportunity to achieve their aspiration of home ownership, but if affordable housing is being sold, it is absolutely crucial that it is replaced on the same terms. Without extra funding, we fear this may not prove to be the case.”

She added that, under the current right-to-buy, homes were not being replaced on a one-for-one basis, with figures showing that 32,288 homes had been sold since April 2012 but only 3,644 started or acquired to replace them.

The CIH estimates 145,000 housing association tenants will exercise the right-to-buy during the first five years of the policy.

In short it appears that the intention is to crowbar 'starter homes' (i.e. market housing sold at a 20% discount to first time buyers under 40), into the definition of affordable housing. The current definition in the NPPG and the NPPF is given below. As the definition is in the NPPF and the NPPG, it may be that an amendment to both would be required.

I'm not sure what impact this would have. Without appropriate consultation and impact assessment, the proposed change, as with the previous affordable housing thresholds and exemptions, would be open to challenge. Furthermore, the previous Court Judgement confirmed in no uncertain terms that adopted local policy must be given primacy and national guidance (e.g. NPPG) is only guidance to be given appropriate weight. Therefore, if a LPA has adopted policies which seek to secure affordable housing and identify that an appropriate tenure mix should be secured (which will not include 'starter homes' in most cases), it appears that these policies would retain primacy.

It may turn out to be another case of Government winging it and hoping Council's will play ball.

‘Affordable housing: Social rented, affordable rented and intermediate housing, provided to eligible households whose needs are not met by the market. Eligibility is determined with regard to local incomes and local house prices. Affordable housing should include provisions to remain at an affordable price for future eligible households or for the subsidy to be recycled for alternative affordable housing provision.

Social rented housing is owned by local authorities and private registered providers (as defined in section 80 of the Housing and Regeneration Act 2008), for which guideline target rents are determined through the national rent regime. It may also be owned by other persons and provided under equivalent rental arrangements to the above, as agreed with the local authority or with the Homes and Communities Agency.

Affordable housing: Social rented, affordable rented and intermediate housing, provided to eligible households whose needs are not met by the market. Eligibility is determined with regard to local incomes and local house prices. Affordable housing should include provisions to remain at an affordable price for future eligible households or for the subsidy to be recycled for alternative affordable housing provision.

Social rented housing is owned by local authorities and private registered providers (as defined in section 80 of the Housing and Regeneration Act 2008), for which guideline target rents are determined through the national rent regime. It may also be owned by other persons and provided under equivalent rental arrangements to the above, as agreed with the local authority or with the Homes and Communities Agency.

Affordable rented housing is let by local authorities or private registered providers of social housing to households who are eligible for social rented housing. Affordable Rent is subject to rent controls that require a rent of no more than 80% of the local market rent (including service charges, where applicable).

Intermediate housing is homes for sale and rent provided at a cost above social rent, but below market levels subject to the criteria in the Affordable Housing definition above. These can include shared equity (shared ownership and equity loans), other low cost homes for sale and intermediate rent, but not affordable rented housing.

Homes that do not meet the above definition of affordable housing, such as “low cost market” housing, may not be considered as affordable housing for planning purposes.’

The full speech is given here:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/david-camerons-full-speech-conservative-6589711

But for me, there’s one big piece of unfinished business in our economy: housing. A Greater Britain must mean more families owning a home of their own. It goes back to those Conservative beliefs: reward for hard work. If you’ve worked hard and saved, I don’t want you just to have a roof over your head – I want you to have a roof of your own. In the last 5 years, 600,000 new homes have been built. More than 150 people a day are moving in thanks to our Help to Buy scheme. And in our manifesto, we announced a breakthrough policy: extending the Right to Buy to housing association tenants. Some people said this would be impossible. Housing associations would never stand for it. The legislation would never pass. Let me tell you something. Greg Clark, our brilliant Communities Secretary, has secured a deal with housing associations to give their tenants the Right to Buy their home. That will mean the first tenants can start to buy their homes from next year. Yes, as we said in our manifesto, 1.3 million to be given the chance to become homeowners. A promise made. A promise kept. But the challenge is far, far bigger. When a generation of hardworking men and women in their 20s and 30s are waking up each morning in their childhood bedrooms – that should be a wakeup call for us. We need a national crusade to get homes built. That means banks lending, government releasing land, and yes – planning being reformed. And in all these things I’ll be working with a great London Mayoral candidate – and, I hope, soon to be our London Mayor – Zac Goldsmith. But I want to single someone out. He’s served this country. He’s served this party. And there’s a huge amount more to come. So let’s hear it for the man who for two terms has been Mayor of the greatest capital city on earth: Boris Johnson. Increasing home ownership means something else. For years, politicians have been talking about building what they call “affordable homes” – but the phrase was deceptive. It basically meant homes that were only available to rent. What people want are homes they can actually own. After all, the officials who prepare the plans for the new homes, the developers who build them, the politicians who talk about them… …most of these people own the homes they live in. Don’t they realise other people want what they’ve got – a home of their own? So today, I can announce a dramatic shift in housing policy in our country. Those old rules which said to developers: you can build on this site, but only if you build affordable homes for rent… …we’re replacing them with new rules… …you can build here, and those affordable homes can be available to buy. Yes, from Generation Rent to Generation Buy… …our party, the Conservative party… …the party of home ownership in Britain today.

I agree Jon - this looks likely to require at least a change to NPPF which, without impact assessment and consultation, could be challenged.

But, reading between the lines of the PM's speech, it looks more like starter homes will be an additional type of affordable housing rather than completely replacing affordable/social rents. In which case, it would still be for LPAs to set a mix policy in Local Plans. If that is the case, then they may be able to not need consultation and impact assessment as this would be done locally, with development plans still taking precedence over national guidance. 

Just to add - the overall policy for starter homes is now getting incredibly muddied, with the likely Brownfield Register/Permission In Principle criteria overlapping with the existing starter home criteria: http://planningguidance.planningportal.gov.uk/blog/guidance/starter-homes/starter-homes-guidance/

Hopefully we will get clarity on this with the publication of the Housing Bill.

Hi Rob,

Yes I agree on these points. If however as a result of whatever changes are enacted, developers were to be given the chance to choose their own tenure mix, I would assume many would go for 100% starter homes as the 20% reduced price would deliver a greater return than other types of affordable housing.

Also the current guidance on starter homes suggests that developers should receive exemptions from other s106 contributions / CIL to help fund this element of the development, which is not the case in regard to other types of affordable housing, which would be a further incentive to propose 100% starter homes as the affordable element of a development.

I think it's unlikely (though not impossible) that developers will be given the choice; but if so absolutely - it'll be nothing but starter homes (also because you don't then need a housing association and "poor doors", and the starter homeowners would stump up full maintenance charges). I think it's more likely that there will be a national presumption in favour of starter homes, with affordable rent/shared ownership only if there is local evidence (following the approach taken on eg housing standards).

I also think it's unlikely that starter homes would continue to be exempt from s106/CIL; the current starter homes policy was targeted at particular windfall brownfield sites that were only delivering starter homes, so it could be argued that these were contributing to local needs and shouldn't be stifled by s106 requirements (I'm not saying it's a good argument...) The current starter homes policy feels very much like a dry run at the emerging approach to the Brownfield Register, and I expect it will wither away.

As LPAs we therefore need to be thinking carefully and quickly about having a robust evidence base regarding the sorts of tenure we need in our areas. The other side of the coin is whether there will be any housing associations left to take on new affordable rent units! Something for our colleagues in economic development offices to think about and take forward.

Peter Stockton, modified 8 Years ago.

Enthusiast Posts: 34 Join Date: 20/10/11 Recent Posts

Isn’t it just a way to get around the recent legal challenge to the government threshold for affordable housing?

By announcing that starter homes are really just a form of affordable housing, developers will presumably be more disposed to local thresholds since they wont have to go into partnership with Housing Associations or pay commuted sums ?  

It could well be, Peter. I think I'm right in saying that the Government are still intending to challenge the decision that the threshold was unlawful, but it may well be that this is part of their "plan B", a crumb to throw to developers (particularly smaller ones, who are - theoretically - disproportionately affected by AH requirements on smaller sites) if the appeal is not successful.

I don't think, however, that that is the only point of Starter Homes - for the PM to make this a key part of his first CPC speech in this Parliament shows that the Goverment will be expecting to see significant results from this policy shift.

Article from Colin Wiles on the subject here-

http://m.insidehousing.co.uk/7012174.blog?mobilesite=enabled

Helen Chadwick, modified 8 Years ago.

New Member Posts: 17 Join Date: 14/01/14 Recent Posts