Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Yesterday

Caravan at a business

Former Member, modified 8 Years ago.

Caravan at a business

Hello, I've read through the thread and mine seems to be a bit unique to the common Caravan in the garden. We have a small Garden Centre, which has been trading longer than I have been alive. The last 15 years we have had caravans used to house employees'/seasonal workers wtih an unbroken residential time line. That is unbroken but, split between the 2 caravans. Not 10 years in one partical caravan. We can prove they have been onsite and used for this period of time as well. We would like to preplace on with a another. Could we still apply for permited use even though it's not 10 years in the same one? It seems a bit grey. This would be as primary residence.
Ted Slevin, modified 6 Years ago.

RE: Caravan at a business

Enthusiast Posts: 43 Join Date: 24/01/17 Recent Posts

wyoy

As I understand it you have had 2 caravans on the site for more than 10 years without any action being taken

If this is the case you do not need to prove they have been lived in only that they are caravans capable of being lived in

Most caravans are occupied sporadically 

If the caravans are not in the curtalage of your house and are in fact in the curtalage of your bussness then you need to apply for a lawfull development certificate on the grounds the caravans have been in place for longer than 10 years

When you get the certificate you can replace both caravans with new ones if you wish but I would not advise doing this befor getting the certificate

Former Member, modified 6 Years ago.

Ted

On a related note to this, if the caravan is within the curtilage of a house (i.e. the back garden), do you need a certificate for that too?

Garry

Thanks Ted,

We've seat on this for years and now have 10 years with an unbroken tenant. Have you applied for a Lawful Certificate? From one of your comments it sounded as if you may have and it wasn't straight forward.

This site is not a chat room as there are many busy people using it 

Please keep to topic    Ted

The situation is not so straight forward if it’s in the curtilage of a domestic dwelling as you can only use it as ancillary to the property and not accommodation for your workers 

If the caravans can be considered as in the curtilage of a dwelling the process is completely different.

Ted

So if it's in your own back garden and you dont use it to house anyone - just use it for storage and occasional guests, does that need a certificate? 

Garry

hi

You can have 1 caravan in you curtalage of a dwelling just make sure it's only one and do not assume that the council will take the same view of the curtalage as you do 

You do not need a certificate of lawfulness because it's already lawfull

Ted Slevin:

hi

You can have 1 caravan in you curtalage of a dwelling just make sure it's only one and do not assume that the council will take the same view of the curtalage as you do 

You do not need a certificate of lawfulness because it's already lawfull

Thanks Ted.  How do you know all this?  Your profile suggests that this is not your day job.  So just curious. 

Garry

I have been chalaged in the past about caravans and boundaries and advise possession 

so so I took it upon myself to study the subjects it's not rocket science that's may day job                Ted