Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - This week

CIL Review - Watch this space!

Brendan Troy, modified 8 Years ago.

CIL Review - Watch this space!

New Member Posts: 7 Join Date: 26/07/12 Recent Posts

Anybody know any more about when this is likely to happen? Gillian? - http://www.lgcplus.com/news/dclg-to-review-badly-implemented-community-infrastructure-levy/5091106.article

Rebecca Randall, modified 8 Years ago.

RE: CIL Review - Watch this space!

Enthusiast Posts: 60 Join Date: 06/05/14 Recent Posts
Former Member, modified 8 Years ago.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/community-infrastructure-levy-review-questionnaire

This questionnaire appeared on the CLG website yesterday ..........

Alison

I really hope that all of you that work with CIL comment on how it works and suggest how it can be improved to deliver infrastructure- this is a request for information and contributions to help us so it is good to hear from  the managers/councillors/leadership of local authorities and those that 'do' CIL. The review working party need to hear from the local authority side as they have already heard a lot from the housebuilders on CIL and s106! ( oh and Sorry Brendan - I was sworn to secrecy )
Brendan Troy, modified 8 Years ago.

New Member Posts: 7 Join Date: 26/07/12 Recent Posts

Thanks Gillian - I did not really expect to get an exclusive :) We will certainly be responding to that effect. Glad to see you are on the independent review group.

Rob Searle, modified 8 Years ago.

New Member Posts: 6 Join Date: 30/09/13 Recent Posts
Thanks Gillian - we (DSP) will certainly be responding from a consultants point of view.
Rebecca Randall, modified 8 Years ago.

Enthusiast Posts: 60 Join Date: 06/05/14 Recent Posts

We will be responding at Sedgemoor DC, having adopted our CIL in April 2015

As a general point, and something I will cover in more detail in our formal response, have any other LPAs seen a drop in residential applications (particularly majors) since adopting CIL? Some are blaming the adoption of CIL on this, so I am keen to prove them wrong if other LPAs havent seen this trend! We obviously had the mad rush to sign S106s on outstnading major resi schemes before CIL adoption, so maybe last year was particularly busy rather than this year being particularly quiet. Any experiences welcomed.

Hi Rebecca

Just read your comment - we adopted CIL on 01/09/15 and also had a flurry of S106s completed to beat the deadline. However, one S106 relating to a development of about 100 new homes didn't complete on time so the S106 was rewritten in light of the CIL. Colleagues said the developer didn't seem too worried about it - my presumption being that the combined bill for S106 and CIL will be about the same as the pre-CIL S106 would have been.

However, we are getting anecdotal evidence that some small scale developments (eg. village infills that are below affordable housing threshold) may not go ahead as our CIL rate for this size of development is quite steep and adds significantly to the build cost (£200 per m2 compared to £65 per m2 for sites above AH threshold). This particularly affects those developments that were being worked up pre-CIL, but have been approved post-CIL becasue some of the developers had not factored CIL into their build costs.

One theory regarding this type of development is that land prices may reduce over time, so there will be no net difference to build costs. It's just unfortunate for those caught by the transition.

Tim.

Is there any information as to whether the review is still on track? Originally I think that the report for ministers was due to be drawn up this month and next. Is it known how many consultation responses were received?

Hi Tony,

I was at event with DCLG a couple of weeks ago. Apparently 240 responses were received with about half from LPAs. I can't recall mention of a timescale but I would certainly hope this summer, with no doubt more regulation changes to follow!