Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - This week

Housing Delivery Test query (discrepancy Rulebook - 2018 technical note)

Former Member, modified 5 Years ago.

Housing Delivery Test query (discrepancy Rulebook - 2018 technical note)

I am currently working on some stuff relating to the Housing Delivery Test, and somehow I cannot get my head around the following issue:

The housing delivery rulebook says.

Plan less than 5 years old:
EITHER latest  adopted housing requirement  OR  minimum annual local housing need figure  (by using the standard method)
Plan older than 5 years:
The  minimum annual local housing need figure

The rulebook lists in the transitional arrangement that for 2015-16 to 2017-18 the minimum annual local housing need figure is  replaced by household projections .

So for plans which are more than 5 years old the household projections are used.

BUT in the technical note, published alongside the table of the 2018 HDT measurements.
In step 1-5 they talk about:
3: Net unmet need.. by summing all the need taken and taking away all the way given
4: to convert this in an annual figure: -> total unmet need figure is divided by the total plan period.
5: the annual net unmet need for each authority is then added to the annual average household growth for each test year.

I cannot find something about “household growth  + unmet need”  in the housing delivery rulebook, in this context. And it also does not seem as if they use it in the actual calculation (E.g. in New Forest it seems to be only household growth, though if the unmet need is 0 than they may add it, but unfortunately MHCLG does not provide much transparency regarding their calculations)

Additionally in the technical note for plans without an up-to date plan they state:
1. The housing requirement is based on the  household growth plus unmet need figure , set  out in an adopted plan , (as calculated in steps 1 to 5 above) for each year).
2. The number of homes required for each year over three year period is based on  the lower of the housing requirement (as above)   or household growth plus unmet need . In the incidence where a local authority has no up to date local plan, the ‘lower of’ policy does not change the total number of homes required.

Particularly 2. doesn’t make sense to me, as it states you have to use the lower of two figures, BUT both figures are the same! (“ household growth plus unmet need figure , set  out in an adopted plan” OR household growth plus unmet need.
Generally, this does not match the provisions from the rulebook, as listed above as for “out of date”plans you have to use the standard figure, nor does it make sense to me as they say use the lower of two numbers, which are the same

And moreover even if  household growth plus unmet need figure  means the same as  minimum annual local housing need figure  (by using the standard method), it does not apply in the 2018 HDT due to the transitional agreements.

Anyone of you who deals with the HDT may provide clarity?
many thanks

You do not have permission to access the requested resource.
Former Member, modified 5 Years ago.

RE: Housing Delivery Test query (discrepancy Rulebook - 2018 technical note

Hi Ian, could you share it with me? (I sent you my email address by private message) - but unsure if you received it as there are more Ian McDonalds registered on KHub.