Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Yesterday

Staircasing (shared ownership) & CIL relief

Former Member, modified 8 Years ago.

Staircasing (shared ownership) & CIL relief

If someone purchases a 50% share in a shared ownership property and over time (less than 7 years) staircases to 100%, would this trigger a disqualifying event?

I can read the regs two ways. 1. Social housing relief can be granted for shared ownership properties (Reg 49(4)). The nature of shared ownership is that it allows people to staircase the amount of that property that they own, so I don't think the intention would be for staircasing to trigger a disqualifying event. R49(4) just says "the value...on the day on which a lease is granted...does not exceed 75% of the market value".  It doesn't say anything about share increases from that point. 2. On the other hand, staircasing to a 100% share (within 7 years) would mean that property is no longer social housing, owned privately rather than by an RP/Local Authority (as I understand it). Whether it is disqualified from relief is then subject to R53(3) and how the proceeds of sale are used.

Would be interested in any views!

REBECCA STADDON, modified 8 Years ago.

RE: Staircasing (shared ownership) & CIL relief (Answer)

Advocate Posts: 103 Join Date: 05/09/13 Recent Posts

Helen,

In this scenario I think I would require evidence of the use of the money from the proceeds of the sale as I agree that the decision over whether the sale is a disqualifying event all boils down to Reg 53 and whether the proceeds have been used to provide more social housing.

Rebecca