Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Yesterday

Student common room application liable for CIL on student accommodation?

Former Member, modified 8 Years ago.

Student common room application liable for CIL on student accommodation?

Hi all,

Seeking any views on the following, please?

We have received an application for a stand alone student common room. It's in the grounds of an existing student accommodation block (private accommodation), and will service that existing accommodation but does not contain any new bedrooms.

We have a CIL charge for Student Accommodation, but our Charging Schedule doesn't define exactly what that means. Should we charge? 

I think we should charge CIL as the floorspace would be chargeable if it formed a wider student accommodation application with bedrooms, or even if it was a Section 73 application related to an existing permission. Similarly, the common room is there to serve those student bedrooms so would not be required otherwise. But, as I said, no new bedrooms.

Thanks in advance.

Paul Jobson, modified 8 Years ago.

RE: Student common room application liable for CIL on student accommodation

New Member Posts: 4 Join Date: 01/10/15 Recent Posts

Hi Hayley

I'd say its a judgement call.

1) Its not strictly student housing, but as you say communal areas as part of student housing would normally be charged. 

2) The CIL charge is determine on viability (ability to pay), a common room has limited development value and would if identified as a seperate CIL use in isolation have £0 charge similar to Leisure (D use) and other residential intitutions (C2 use). Given its a common room the LPA could use its discrection.

3) If the existing student block is new then I agree their is a percieved link, it its an older block connection is weak, However this is a seperate application, so that link is not direct in any case and each full application should be determined on this basis (i'm not aware of any regulation on CIL dodging that are compable to afforable homes issues of spliting sites etc).

4) Overall student housing providers can afford it and I doubt the overall charge is that expensive.

Don't know it that helps

Paul

DLP Planning

Hi Hayley,

I would charge CIL in those circumstances on the basis that the common room is part of a chargeable use. In the same way a staff canteen in an office building is chargeable at the office CIL rate.

Paul, viability for CIL is only a consideration whilst a charging schedule is being prepared and adopted. It is not a consideration for individual developments.

Thanks Tony and Paul,

I agree - we'll calculate and raise CIL with the applicant and take it from there!